Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Wednesday Medley and Amish Follies


Trying the backhanded approach to eating cake
 

National Pigs in a Blanket Day - April 24

NATIONAL PIGS-IN-A-BLANKET DAY

On April 24, observe National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day with just a few ingredients.  
Celebrated across the world, the term often refers to a variety of different dishes. In the United States, Pigs-in-a-Blanket are often hot dogs or sausages wrapped in biscuit or croissant dough and baked. Pigs-in-a-Blanket are generally served as an appetizer or as breakfast. However, it can be served any meal time!
HOW TO OBSERVE
Share your version of Pigs-In-A-Blanket using #NationalPigBlanketDay on social media.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Everything above this line is from the National Day Calendar website.

(My first thought was 'what am I going to do with this one'!! Bear with me, followers!)

1.  Typically served as an hors d'oeuvre, have you ever made or had a Pig-in-a-Blanket?  Do you like Pigs-in-a-Blanket?
 Never ever.
 "What? Pigs in a blanket? No way."
2.  Pigs-in-a-blanket are also known as devils on horseback, kilted sausages, and wiener winks. (Seriously.)  Please make up another name for this fun little appetizer!
I cannot hear 'weiner' without thinking of poor deluded Anthony. But about renaming? I guess I would rename them cylindrical poison wrapped in carbs. :-) I get a headache from any hotdogs or sausages, etc.
 Mr. C. and our new Amish neighbor chatting about farmland, fencing, cattle, and guns. Typical guy stuff.
3.  In the UK, pigs-in-blankets are small sausages, or chipolatas wrapped up in bacon.  Which country's version is most appealing to your taste buds?
Neither, I am afraid. Definitely not the UK version. The only pigs in blankets that appeal to me are these:
 YouTube
4.  The first written record of pigs-in-a-blanket occurs in Betty Crocker's Cooking for Kids in 1957.  In this digital world, do you still have a favorite cookbook you use most of the time?  Is there a recipe you can share with us from that cookbook?
I have a great 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook that I use quite often, although more often I use a recipe from my file folder (which have often been ones I've found online and printed out.)
 You know how in the UK, some manor houses will have follies in the back and beyond, structures built for no reason but apparently to spend money and have something useless on their land? Well, we call this the Amish Folly, a structure recently built on the adjacent property. We couldn't figure out what on earth it was, until... (see further down)
5.  What is your favorite cooking show on TV?
The ONLY cooking show I watch, and that's hit and miss, is The Great British Baking Show. They're all so nice and helpful and not horribly competitive. It's a great show. 
 ...we talked to our new Amish neighbor and asked him. He said it is a hunting shack with room for his horse beneath, to keep it out of the line of fire. Hm. Good thinking. So now we know the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey would say.
6.  Tell us something random about your week, please!
We had a wonderful Easter weekend with some of our family and here are a few photos to prove it: I wish I had a picture of the altar at the church. It was beautiful. We celebrated a risen Savior.
 This little guy, at 7 weeks, was sharing lots of smiles

Waiting on another photo...

I know you won't believe me, but it was the best hair day I'd had in a while
 - until I went out into the wind to have our picture taken. Grrr.
Oh well. BTW, that old man standing next to me turns 68 today. And  honestly, he doesn't look a day over 67 1/2. :-) He's quite amazing and one of my greatest blessings from God.
 This beloved old barn across the road will soon be coming down. It has deteriorated greatly over the winter and our new neighbor has plans to remove it.
I guess it's time to move.
This week I'm packing lots of books, sorting and donating a ton of stuff, and passing along a lot of unnecessary furniture to family members or donating it.

Thank you Terri, for another Wednesday Medley! xo

This is the last week for my 20% off discount at
HomemadeSoapnSuch.Etsy.com
SALE ENDS APRIL 30
Be sure to check it out!
Also...


Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE


All-natural Defense
Antibacterial, Antifungal Soap
Four essential oils


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



Our ETSY Shop

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning 
and have a great Wednesday!









Judy

23 comments:

Tammy Enjoy Life said...

You have a beautiful family. Glad you had a great Easter.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Judy

I like the photo of you and your hubby. You have a beautiful family too, the little ones are adorable. I am not really a fan of pigs in a blanket, my hubby like the sausage in pancakes.
I hope all is well. Wishing you a happy day!

Vee said...

Sweet photos of you and your Beloved and of the family. The new family member is sure holding up his end with that darling grin. I haven’t had a pig in a blanket in years, but I am giving it serious consideration today. (I wouldn’t if they made me ill.) Happy packing! Hope that you can see light at the end of the tunnel.

MadSnapper said...

you forgot to update us on your cats... I am fretting over them... I guessed the building was a hunting site, but not about putting the horse under it.... odd place to have it in a corn field. love the pic of hubby and the Almish buggy, with the big back hoe sitting to the side. old and new together. I have never touched a cookbook and never will. and I raised my boys on pigs in a blanket at least once a week... we all love hotdogs, and that is what we had in the biscuit dough. when Bob and I first married 34 years ago, we ate them a few times, but none since then and certainly not on my food plan now... besides that hotdogs don't taste like they used to, but neither does anything else, even bread is different.

Jodi said...

Oh how cute is that pig in a blanket!! Lovely family photos! Have a great Wednesday!

Elizabeth "Libby" Day said...

What a blessing to have been able to worship with some of your family for Easter. That sweet baby's smile warms my heart. I can understand why the "folly" would have been a mystery. What does he hunt from up there in the middle of the field? In the south, it would definitely be a deer stand but that takes it to the extreme. But, thanks for the explanation. And, Happy Birthday to your handsome man!

Stacy said...

How wonderful that some of your family was at church with you on Easter! Both of my kids have left the faith they grew up with behind...one to the point of atheism...but I keep praying. So sad about the old barn coming down. I get sentimental about that sort of thing. Love that hunting shack, though. What ingenuity! Thanks for sharing with us today. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Nonnie said...

Well, there are so many things about this post to comment on. You really made me chuckle with a few of your comments. That baby is too precious. I really like the photo of your husband chatting with the Amish. And boy, can I ever relate on the good hair day happening on the windy day. It's always windy here in Texas, but drives me crazy to get my hair all blown out nice and then have to go outside. And heaven forbid, it's a windy AND damp day! Ugh! You look terrific. The other night as we celebrated our grandson being 8, we told him he didn't look a day over 8!

Cheryl said...

Getting the feeling that you don't care for pigs-in-blankets? ;)

Those are sweet family photos! Don't you just love it when babies start smiling? Melts my heart. Happy birthday to your hubby!

Packing, sorting, donating . . . brings back memories. Three years ago yesterday, we moved into the Pineapple House. I think it's much more fun to unpack and set up.

Wendy said...

We'll have to agree to differ on pigs in blankets - I love the UK version of them lol. Happy birthday to your husband and thanks for sharing your lovely photos. Getting ready to move must be a daunting task. I really hope you get your kitties a new home soon too.

Terri D said...

Thanks for joining the Medley today and sharing your thoughts on pigs-in-a-blanket!! Your version is quite cute, by the way!! Oh my, I don't envy you the packing and sorting and moving from such a beautiful home and setting there. Cathartic in many ways, I guess. It sounds like
you are ready to make the move. It also sounds like you had a wonderful Easter and I love seeing the pictures of the kids... that little guy is beyond adorable! xoxox

Mrs.T said...

I guessed that the folly was a deer stand or something similar. Never would have thought of putting a horse underneath, though.

That baby .. the cutest grin ever!

Enjoyed all of your family photos but especially the one of you and Mr.C. How fun that he and Josiah share a birthday!

Annsterw said...

Great photos!!! I am so with you on the hotdog thing!!! ICK! Have a lovely day!

Lori said...

I love all of the pictures you posted! Yes, we serve a risen savior indeed! It makes me so sad when old barns have to come down, but they do. I think they are so pretty. Loved your answers! Have a nice week!

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Happy Easter! Your new grandchild is adorable! Congratulations!
The sweater pattern of your daughter's is very in.
Oh the book project sounds so difficult!
I have never seen a structure like that.
Hot dogs are okay once in awhile. I just like them plain with no bread, maybe sometimes ketchup. I don't care for English sausage, actually I don't really like most sausage.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - I have been suffering (lol) for two weeks without a computer. Now I have one way over my head - but I am back.

I agree celebrating the Risen Savior.

So you have Amish Neighbors now - have you sold your farm yet? I am behind here.

I loved and used Betty Crocker all the time.

That that Amish Shed I guess is good for horses unless it gets too hot for them.

Love, Sandie

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

You certainly had a wonderful weekend celebrating our Risen Saviour as well as have your wonderful family round you. As for the hair!! Who cares!

Lynne said...

I have had a Pig In A Blanket once or twice maybe . . .
Not anything I have ever made . . . not a fan of getting my head around what is inside a hotdog!

Betty Crocker cook book has lived with me as has the large red/white checked
Better Homes & Gardens cook book, Best Brownie recipe ever lives in the BHG cook book
and has been a dessert option for many an occasion.
Plus recipes shared from friends, family live in two red photo sleeve albums . . .
I refer to those recipes often and “tweak them up” with my style, often.

My most used recipe file in the past few years is PAPRIKA, an iPad app.
I have transferred my favorites plus I have cut and pasted
many recipes from friends, online, etc. Excellent way to share a recipe too.

Liked the road conversation pic . . .

Is it just me, smiles from wee ones seem to happen more, much sooner, than I remember from my wee ones.
No complaints . . . nothing sweeter.

No mention or picture . . . of Smokey & Tommy . . .
Makes me wonder if I missed a post . . . I think of them daily, plus
every time I see the word CRANBERRY.
Last evening we were invited to a friends house for Potato Pancakes, a Mister Irish favorite.
And a Passover tradition of our friend. She has two large “rag doll type” male cats . . .
The “rag doll fluffs” were fun to watch but Tommy & Smokey have my heart.

Happy Easter Judy . . . and to your cherished one too.
Beautiful/handsome couple, loved your picture . . . outdoor pics on windy days can be a challenge.

Enjoy sorting and packing up!
‘til next time . . .
love
lynne


Anne Payne said...

Great photos! Love your hair ;-) I have days like that too.

Creations By Cindy said...

Enjoyed all the adorable pictures. Happy Birthday to your man. That pig....love it. Great family pictures and I know that you enjoyed them so much. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I can't eat most sausage products either. But I make my own bulk sausage with no funny ingredients and use that in my sausage rolls, the closest thing to pigs in a blanket that I make. When I want a non-bulk sausage, such as brats, I get them from a local butcher shop that makes their own from pastured pork right there in front of my eyes with no funny ingredients.

Robin said...

Your new grandson is absolutely adorable! I agree with you about pigs in a blanket, never had one and never will. My favorite cooking show (and I’m watching it now) is The Great British Bake Off.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I know you are SUPER busy so don't worry about visiting me! Love seeing your photos and cute hair do! I wanted to let you know I am sketching and even colored in a couple of bird photos with my colored pencils last night. I thought of you with my pretty pencil wrapper at my side! Hugs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails