Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Making a Rusty Barbed Wire Wreath!

 If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

So when you live on a farm, things accumulate. There's bound to be stuff lying around - stuff you get tired of seeing!  Right? Can you identify with this??

Lately I've come to a new appreciation of the treasure trove of junk items that could be useful to me in a new way. I think that would called 'recycling.' I think my husband would call it, 'You gotta be kidding.'  Well, this is my attempt at embracing the junk around our place. SO, with some inspiration from other bloggers, I went in search of rusty barbed wire. Did I find it? Of course - along with lots of other rusty junk.


Hanging by a spring

What you see before you is a newly-wound roll of old, rusty barbed wire, an old spring with which to hang this 'wreath,' and a 'rose' clipped from an old bed spring. Oh yeah, doesn't everyone have this junk lying around???



The background is made from a couple sheets of a sort of tongue-in-groove metal that was leftover from building the grain bin (probably built about 60 years ago - yes, that was before we bought this farm).

The main corn stalks were ones discarded from the garden, and the ears sitting on the rusty stool are actually popcorn, so I'll have to make sure to keep an eye on them so the mice don't move in and eat them before we do.




The pumpkin spice candle was given to me by our daughter-in-law. She knows I love pumpkin spice!♥♥

So listen up, ladies, don't waste your time wishing your husband didn't accumulate junk. Embrace it! It could give you an whole new hobby! :-)



 ***

'Pumpkin Spice'
Natural Vegan Soap
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and our

HomemadeSoapNSuch ETSY STORE


  You'll find me at These Linky Parties:
Mop it Up Monday   and Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and The Chicken Chick and   What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Make it Great Monday and Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous  and  Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday  and  Inspiration Board and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and What's Cookin' Wednesday and DJs Sugar Shack and  Cast Party Wednesday and The Shady Porch and   We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Mom on TimeOut and  Link it Up Thursday and It's Fall Y'all and Crafty Friday (Thursday) and Mandatory Mooch and  Petals to Picots and  Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog  and I'm Lovin' it Friday and Maiden d'Shade and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Foodie Friends Friday and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and Overflowing With Creativity and  Home and Family Friday and Sunny Simple Sunday and  Saturday Nite Special


 
Photobucket

37 comments:

MadSnapper said...

prettiest fall decoration ever. and my first ever sighting of a barb wire wreath. i wonder if i could make one from hubbys air planes, our garage is stuffed with all airplane junk.

Denise said...

Really awesome.

vintage grey said...

Such a gorgeous and rustic wreath!! LOve it! xo Heather

Terri D said...

You are SO creative! Amazing and so perfect for the season! Thanks for sharing!

Paulette said...

The photo of the candle made me wish I could smell the wonderful aroma of pumpkin spice.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lol!! Love it!

Audrey said...

Just my kind of Treasure. Love the rose made from a bed spring.
Blessings,
Audrey Z.
http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/
Timeless Treasures

Unknown said...

Oh that is so nice, and I think it's a great idea to take care of the junk lying around and make some nice decorations of it. You did a great job on that rusty wire, very suitable as Autumn Decorations!!
Hope you're having a great day. It's been a rainy day here in Dublin today, a typical autumn day. Been a long day at work, had my German class which is fun. Have always loved languages.
Hugs,

Eva

Ruth Kelly said...

Be careful with the rusty wire - remember getting shots for rusty metal.

Deborah said...

No wonder you can't go for coffee you are too busy making barb wire wreaths that are brilliant!! One of the reasons we are best friends is we have the same taste in junk or shall I say treasure! lol!. I LOVE the idea of the bed spring rose. Great job my friend. :)

RURAL said...

That is the cutest barbed wire wreath I have ever seen, very creative.

Hmmmm do I see a Etsy item?

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Trace4J said...

Love love love your junk.
So cool.
Hugs
Trace



www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Anonymous said...

Very cool! You could sell that for big bucks out here in the cities. People LOVE that kind of creative recycling and rustic appeal. - Stacey

Chatty Crone said...

I love it. You know what it reminded me of in one of the photos? Jesus's crown of thorns for just a minute. Great job.

Chatty Crone said...

I love it. You know what it reminded me of in one of the photos? Jesus's crown of thorns for just a minute. Great job.

Olive said...

That's awesome farm junk turned into a wreath. I have an enormous jack-o-lantern made from a piece of galvanized barn material.

Amy said...

Nice...I love all these natural Fall home decor. Wish I can find them in my area.

Carla from The River said...

Great idea. I have a decorated piece of driftwood in our front yard. Guess what I decorated it with. Yes, barbed wire.

Great rustic look, just what I like.

Chenille Cottage said...

My dear sweet sister in Jesus/Yeshua our Messiah...How I love your beautiful blog with it's abundance of scripture. To me there's no greater poetry or inspiration than God's Word.
Thank you for sharing your clever wreath...and, oh, that bedspring rosette! Too cute!
I hope you have a blesssed day.
Carolynn xo

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

It's awesome! I love it! I bet you had so much fun collecting your "junk" and creating it. Oh, and don't worry about those "you got to be kidding" looks, I get them all the time!

Unknown said...

I don't even live on a farm and things accumulate here!! lol
LOVE this wreath, Judy. You did a great job... it's so very "green"!!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I love this so much!

Maggie Ann said...

Your wreath is amazing...love the look, the idea...and that fabulous bedspring 'rose'. Sheer genius...I say...=)

Sunny Sue said...

I love it! And, I agree with Maggie Ann... rose = genius!

Yenta Mary said...

I've always admired the crafty folks who can look at scraps and find something beautiful to make out of them. I guess I'm that way with leftover oatmeal, turning it into bread,; but that's not permanent or artistic, just cheap and frugal! You'd have a ball at my ex-husband's house, looking for materials - yeah, that's what we'll call them! - to work with. I'm going to call "Hoarders" some day and pass along his address ....

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

Thank you for sharing your wreath at Cast Party Wednesday. I love rustic! I hope to see you again next week for another fun party! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

Amy Burzese said...

I love that old junk. I also have a new appreciation for it. I saw stars made from rusty barbed wire the other day. I think there is a photo on my vintage blog. I am not starting another sentence with "I". Oh, well, I did, didn't I.

Pam said...

Way to go! Love your ingenuity and miss the farm life! Have a good rest of the week!

laurie said...

That was really creative...and such a good idea!

Bethany Nash said...

Up-cycling. :)

Anonymous said...

now that is so cool, I like that!!!The soap sounds wonderful!

Deb said...

Very creative. I don't think I'll show my husband though or he might collect even more junk. Just over from Sunny Simple Life. Deb

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love it! I think I saw some rusty wire at the tractor show! heehee! That candle looks wonderful and I know the soap is nice! Happy Fall!

Angela ~ Call Her Blessed said...

my hubs just brought me home a barbed wire wreath ... trying to figure out where to use it =) Stopping by from SSL.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I absolutely love your barbed wire wreath with the spring.

Katherine said...

Very pretty! I love the "rose"!

SunnySD said...

Saw the wreath pinned on Pinterest, and just had to try it. We've been cleaning up old wire so I had a bunch handy - what a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails