Monday, October 8, 2012

Homemade Potato Chips Recipe

 Crispy, Crunchy, Light and Munchy

The other evening my husband dug the potatoes and brought them in from the garden. Because there are always a couple that manage to get stabbed by the potato fork, it was either throw them out or use them immediately. Kevin decided to use them immediately.
 

The chef at work

I was in the other room working on something, when I heard him get out a skillet and I went to see what was going on. He was making potato crisps (or chips)!  There are more uses for coconut oil, we have found, than simply using it as an ingredient in our soaps. Coconut oil is used in this house for making popcorn and for frying everything from peppers and onions to...potato crisps!

Kevin's already made two batches of potato crisps, and if I don't watch out, it will be the go-to treat for an evening movie. This is dangerous territory. At least the Ritter Dark Chocolate with Hazelnut could be thought of as a health food, considering all the antioxidants, right??  Not so sure about the potato crisps, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be a staple around this house.

Potato Crisps, Recipe:

Potatoes
Coconut Oil
Sea salt

Any number of good potatoes, washed and sliced VERY thin. (like 1 mm)

Melt coconut oil in a cast iron skillet until it's about 1/4 inch deep.  Cast iron seems to work best because it heats so evenly. (He used cast iron the second time.)

The burner was between Low and Medium, closer to Medium, but never higher than that.

Spread the potatoes out in a single layer on the oil. 

Fry them 2-3 minutes, turning at least once. As a layer of potatoes is fried, lift them off and place on a paper towel to drain. 

Sprinkle with sea salt.

Do this is very small batches so that the oil stays hot enough, and be ready with another layer of potatoes waiting, so that you don't leave the oil sitting on that hot burner without any potatoes in the pan. It wouldn't take long for it to burst into flame.

Keep children out of the kitchen while you're frying in oil. I have a horrific family story I could tell you about a cousin whose skin melted off when hot oil was accidentally spilled on her. Don't take chances; it's not worth it.


Grandson #1, fall of 2008


***


Rosemary Mint
All natural, vegan soap
with essential oils

...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at
HomemadeSoapNSuch

 ***

 You'll find me at These Linky Parties:
Mop it Up Monday   and Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and The Chicken Chick and   What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Make it Great Monday and Made By You Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous  and  Get Your Craft On and Tip Me Tuesday  and  Inspiration Board and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and What's Cookin' Wednesday and DJs Sugar Shack and  Cast Party Wednesday and The Shady Porch and   We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Mom on TimeOut and  Link it Up Thursday and It's Fall Y'all and Crafty Friday (Thursday) and Mandatory Mooch and  Petals to Picots and  Threading Your Way and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog  and I'm Lovin' it Friday and Maiden d'Shade and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Foodie Friends Friday and Creative Bloggers and  Serenity Saturday and Overflowing With Creativity and  Home and Family Friday and Saturday Nite Special


 
Photobucket

27 comments:

Samantha said...

Oh dear, now I'm tempted! These look delicious :)

Denise said...

Those look really yummy.

Trace4J said...

Oh my yummo!
What a treat.
Happy Fall
Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

MadSnapper said...

i would love these, mother always made our own french fries from big taters like these, but she cut them long ways, never round like this. yummm

Amy Burzese said...

Oh no. Potato chips are what will kill me sooner or later. They look so good!

Unknown said...

I love making homemade chips... I've even made them on the grill before!! We don't need no stinkin' Lays!!! :)

Chatty Crone said...

First of all that photo of your grandson is adorable!

And I pinned your recipe - I just bought coconut oil and wanted to know what to do with it! LOL

RURAL said...

Oh, I think you had me at potato.....sigh.

Never thought to use coconut oil, that's a great idea, and healthier.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I can't wait to try out coconut oil to fry with!! Such a cutie holding the potato!!

Lois Christensen said...

Those look GREAT! Yes, I'm always careful when using oil even now when my kids are older and not under my feet anymore! I love the photo of your #1 grandson. You should do a followup photo! Enjoy your day and your chips!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Oh boy!! Those look so so good!
We just found an old electric deep fryer at an estate sale this summer. It makes frying so easy! (which probably isn't a good thing)

vintage grey said...

So good! Love the coconut oil! It is so good! xo Heather

Debra Hawkins said...

Yum! I love that you used coconut oil! I have an obsession with the stuff.

Rachel said...

Those look AMAZING! I'm now really hungry!!

:)

Ruth Kelly said...

I think you can even make them in the oven and drizzle oil over them.

jennyfreckles said...

Oh yum, can't think of a nicer snack - naughty but nice.

Carla from The River said...

Yummy! I would be happy to have you send some over. :)

Anonymous said...

A neighbor made a batch of these for us many years ago and they were soooo good. Hope you have a good night.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

The potato chips/crisps sound fabulous! I just might have to try them.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your sweet comment!

Unknown said...

Great pic of you in your profile! Coconut oil! Sounds good. Great pics and recipe.
Have a super week.
Isa

Bethany Nash said...

Coconut oil + homegrown potato + good salt = Health Food

Amy said...

I love coconut oil but never make potato chips before. I'm going have to try this. Sounds delicious! :)

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

"The Chef" looks very zen about frying his chips. I love it!

Thank you for linking up with The Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

I hope we see you back again next Monday!

Cheers,
Kathy
The Chicken Chick

Marble Creek said...

I so did not need to read this. I am a confirmed chipohopic! lol

Alil Country Sugar said...

I agree with your warning about children and frying. Hot bacon grease was dripped on my first born while sitting in a baby seat on the kitchen floor. Thank God it didn't do any damage. The chips look gorgeous! And they have to be 10 times better for you than the ones out of the bag. Thank you for sharing this at Foodie Friends Friday.

Lois Christensen said...

So happy you shared with us over at Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back and VOTE tomorrow! Enjoy!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Where do you purchase your coconut oil?
Thank you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails