Friday, December 31, 2010

London in the Evening

Ah yes, it's so fun to remember London this time of year, so I thought I'd post just a few pics of London at night. This has got to be one of my favorites. With the camera resting on the wall along the east bank of the Thames, Kevin snapped this pic of the Palace of Westminster. We had just walked across Westminster Bridge. As a matter of fact, I think we were on the Westminster By Gaslight walking tour from London Walks. So much fun!

Coming out of the Westminster Tube Station at night, you look up to see this.


The handsome face of Big Ben

I know that there are people who think the Eye is an Eyesore, but I'm not one of them. Built for the millennium celebration, it now seems like a fitting part of the landscape, somehow. I realize that this is spoken by an American looking in. But it does offer the most amazing views of the city from its many pods.


From Westminster Pier, a view of the London Eye and County Hall across the river. I love the glow of the city at night!

Looking down river toward Charing Cross Station (about in the center of the photo). I think this was taken the night Kevin and I got lost when we walked out of St. Martin's toward Charing Cross. It's easy to make a wrong turn there, because, unlike Wisconsin, streets are not laid out on a square grid. We just kept walking until something looked familiar. :-)

It doesn't matter how many times one goes to London. There's just so much to see, so much history, so much to learn, that you never run out of more London to explore. I think it was Samuel Johnson who once said, '...when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.'

P.S. I've got it down to $2,800 for eight nights in London for two, including r.t. airfare, 7-day Visitor Travelcard (for the Tube) food, and lodging. But that doesn't include entry fees. Then again, most of the museums are taxpayer funded, and I've got a good Rick Steves guide book.




This post is linked to New Friend Friday
and Friendly Friday Follow





18 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

What gorgeous, gorgeous photos!!! May you have a very blessed, peaceful and happy new year, Judy ... :)

Diane said...

Gorgeous pics Ü I would ♥ to visit London. Maybe someday Ÿ

Judy S. said...

Great photos of one of our favorite places! Happy New Year!

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

Judy, love your photos! It was such fun visiting London again through your lens. Didn't take many pictures when I was there. Will remedy that next time!

Tiffanee said...

Wow. Amazing photos and it sounds like I need to travel with you. You got the price right. Hopefully someday I will get to go there. Happy new years.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy and a Happy New Year to you. As someone who lives 10 miles away from your photos were taken I know I am biased BUT I, too, love London.
My son normally goes to the South Bank (London Eye) for New Year's eve but this year he's gone to Bristol with a friend to see the New Year in. He says the firework display from the London Eye is just 'out of this world' - I would love to go but have to admit that the comfort and warmth of my house is more appealing so I'll watch it on the TV.
May I wish you a Happy New Year and may God's richest blessings be upon you and your family for 2011. Love Judyx

J_on_tour said...

This is a nice post. It's always good to see night photography, it used to be one of my things many years ago that I have rediscovered recently... oh did I let something slip there !!
I haven't got an opinion on the Eye as an object or eyesore. Like most unusual and large structures, it is difficult to get used to it at first, but then it grows on you. I had opportunity for the first time this year back in July when I was there to play with the Eye's composition in my photos and I was quite pleased with the result. Anything that gives a colour contrast or is decently lit at night gets my vote anyway. The last time I was with someone in London was 2006 and coming out of Westminster tube station, my fellow traveller, who hadn't seen Big Ben before, couldn't believe the height of it. I remarked "Yeah, thats why it's called Big Ben".
It's been great following you this year Judy, it's kept my mind and eye focused and balanced with all this following and followers... if you know what I mean. I haven't got any New Year plans ( although I was invited to a party in Sheffield at short notice .... Scarborough day out friends), Just finished work at 9pm and start again in the morning at 8am.
May God bless you and your family in 2011, best wishes, J

Mama Hen said...

That first picture is beautiful! All of the pictures are great! I have been to England several times, but never in London. My friends and my brother in law are from Manchester. I hope you have a wondrful New Year filled with love, great health and plenty of laughter my friend! Happy New Year!

Mama Hen

Candace said...

Some day I will make it across the pond.... For now, I will live vicariously through you, my friend. Your evening shots are awesome! I can never get good night time photos for some reason. Happy New Year! Candace

Deborah said...

Beautiful photos my friend. The more I find out about my relatives that came from England, the more I think I would like to visit there. :)
I too wish you a wonderful and blessed New Year.

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

Big Ben fascinated me every time it was in my view! I'm not sure why, but I couldn't get enough of the Tall Guy....oh wait! Maybe I am starting to understand the attraction!

:-)

Happy New Year!

Debra Hawkins said...

This is gorgeous! I love the photos. I love the eye, people don't like change, but I do like the eye. :)

Rachel said...

I love the London pictures! I hope you had a great New Year's!!

:)
Rachel

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Loved the pictures...One of my tree customer has spent the last week in London...and have followed her trip...

Happy Sunday

Unknown said...

Lots of great pictures! Looks like an amazing trip!

Mama Hen said...

Stopped by to say hello! I hope you are doing great! Happy New Year my friend! Have a good night!

Mama Hen

partialemptynester said...

I'm with you, I love London!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails