Thursday, December 9, 2010

Real Life


As much as I enjoy posting those pastoral photos of the Wisconsin countryside, there is also the 'real life' that goes on inside this house.

Note the photo above.

1. My laptop sitting on the counter, easily accessible. How else would I keep up with what you all are doing??

2. The external speakers. These are a must if we're watching a British mystery from Netflix, for example. With the low sound emitted from my built-in speakers and the various British accents, my husband sometimes looks at me and says,'I didn't understand a word he said. Did you?' It helps to have external speakers to increase the volume - so we can at least hear what we're not understanding. ;-)

3. The notebook: Here is where I write my daily lists - whether it's the start-and-stop calorie counting, especially around a holiday, always trying to keep a grip but sometimes failing...then picking up and starting again. It's also where I write shopping lists, menus, etc. Frankly, I don't know how anyone lives life without a notebook! and a pen is helpful.

4. The buns sitting out on the counter cuz there's not one square inch of space left in the freezer. These are the buns that turned out more like weapons - or as dear Becky said, 'cobblestones.' What a perceptive girl. Now they don't seem quite as repulsive. The natives are actually are eating them, however. Maybe my husband's just being kind...or maybe he's simply using them for a vehicle to transport my homemade raspberry jam to his mouth.



5. Butter dish. The orange Fiesta Ware covered dish that I use for a butter dish belonged to my mom. I have two of them and they're SO cute and handy. I like them way better than the newer Fiesta Ware. Funny how that old stuff used to look just...old. But now it's 'vintage' and SO COOL! I wonder if I can convince my family that I'm vintage?

6. Pans sitting out on the counter. Okay, that's not typical. I promise. I hate to have pans out on the counter, but the pan drawer fell apart and the new glue is drying. Soon...

7. Fish oil. If I don't have it sitting out, I won't think to take it...and also give it to the dogs. Don't even ask. And especially, don't ask my husband.

8. My coffee mug. In case anyone's counting, this one holds about 2 cups of coffee...at a time. It's perfect. And of course it has a pic of General Longstreet at Gettysburg, looking across the field to Cemetery Ridge, trying to dissuade General Lee from attacking the Yankees. I can hear his heavy Georgia accent, 'Let us take a position and hold it, and let them attack us!' or something like that. Wouldn't that have been smart?? But did Lee listen? Huh? Huh?

9. Rudolph. I pull this cheery little guy out each Christmas season and set him here and there, because anywhere he is, is much improved. On this particular day, it's my kitchen counter that needs improvement. Look how much better it looks with Rudolph sitting there. He's the first thing you noticed in the photo, isn't he!

I think I need to move Rudolph to my closet.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Rudolph..he definitely added something to the picture :) If it helps, I have stuff all over my counters because my kitchen is so small my stuff is over flowing!!

Ms. Diva said...

I love butter dishes but I have had to stop using them for the time being. my kids have broken THREE, so until I am kidless.....which I say alot around here now. Sigh, teenagers!!!!

Candace said...

I love getting a glimpse into your world. It somehow looks familiar. :)

Have a great Thursday!
Candace

Midwest to Midlands said...

ha, ha as to turning up the volume on the British accents. Seriously my husband is British as you know and there are plenty of Brits he can't even understand. Notebooks, I have too many of them, but love them. Try to get myself organized ie: get another notebook!

Ellen said...

My husband has that very same mug that he bought in Gettysburg.:) Love your desk area!

Prairiemaid said...

I need to borrow Rudolph and he needs to bring friends!!! My counters and table are loaded...but it is that time of year!

Now, where is my notebook buried?

Blessings,
Cheryl

Mama Hen said...

I have missed you too! I am around, but not realy able to comment like before because I am on my desktop, which takes two hours for me to make a comment! Ha! My beautiful laptop is fighting a virus and I hope it will be back very soon! I love a mug that can hold two cups of coffee! Yummy! Rudy is really important this time of year. He realy brightens up ones day! The all American breakfast in the post below has left me hungry! Delicious! I hope you are well my friend. Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Anonymous said...

LOL! I think I need Rudolf to visit my room... lol!
~Natalya

Unknown said...

Keeping it real...I like it! If I had time I would take a pic to show you that I'm a bit back in the mess right now. Next week SHOULD slow down, but right now I have to get everyone packed to go in different directions! ACK!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Love how you shared a little glimpse! :) SO how many cups of coffee do you drink a day? :)

Cranberry Morning said...

LOL Just so you know...I have my mug of coffee at 7 AM and that's all the coffee I have for the day. On the rare occasion that I have any later in the day, I'm giving up a night's sleep. It's usually not worth it.

partialemptynester said...

LOVE real life! A true glimpse of the person behind the blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails