Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Chicken Bok Choy Recipe, Gluten Free

Chicken Bok Choy
(I wonder why my fingers want to type 'Chow' instead)


Many of the dinners at our house are simple variations on a theme. So they start with beef or pork or chicken, then vegetables, then a sauce, then they're topped with nuts of one kind or another. Simple. Of course. But, there's nothing to apologize for here, because they taste good and are healthful dinners. Besides, there's always dark chocolate for dessert, so what's not to like?

Well, actually, I'm not sure that I like bok choy, but I like the exotic sound of the name, so that counts for something. I just looked it up. The name means, literally, 'white vegetable.' How boring. I'll stick with Bok Choy which, I discovered, is of the same species as turnips! (and I've never liked turnips, so it's understandable that this wasn't my favorite dish).

Chicken Bok Choy, Recipe: (and as soon as I can learn to pronounce 'qin cai', I'm switching to celery)

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced (Do this while they're partially frozen or you'll probably never do it again. No one likes to try chase a squishy, slimy chicken breast around the cutting board.)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced 
Olive oil or Coconut Oil (Appx. 2 T.)
1/2 stalk bok choy, (that means like half of the whole thing, not just a 'rib') washed and sliced on the diagonal
2 c. snow peas
1-2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms

Sauce:
2 T. white wine
1/4 c. Pacific Organic Free Range Chicken Broth (You can turn the remaining broth into chicken broth ice cubes for later use)
1/2 - 1 T. corn starch
1 t. honey
Salt & Cayenne

Nuts:
Roasted, salted cashews

Directions:

In a large skillet, stirfry chicken and garlic in oil. When chicken is browned, remove from skillet and place on a plate. 

Steam the bok choy and snow peas for about a minute, then place them in the skillet and stirfry for a couple minutes. OR you can just skip the steaming part and simply stirfry them. When the bok choy stems are translucent and the peas are tender but still a good green color, add the chicken and garlic back into the skillet, along with the sliced mushrooms.

In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients of the sauce. Now pour that over the chicken mixture that's in the skillet. Stir and bring to temperature. (I like to use two pancake turners to stir/flip/fry). Keep skillet over heat, stirring, until the sauce has made a nice glaze.

Serve with cashews.

This can also be served with rice, but when it's a choice between rice now and dark chocolate later, you know which I choose (which might explain why I have a hard time sleeping some nights).

 



*** 

 

'Tranquility'
Natural, Homemade Vegan Soap
with Essential Oils
Lemongrass & Eucalyptus

...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at

This post may be linked to some of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and  Cure for the Common Monday and Mealtime Monday and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Mosaic Monday  and Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and On the Menu Monday and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and   What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Creative Showcase and  Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and Love Bakes Good Cakes and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Overflowing With Creativity and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and  Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and  A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and  Saturday Nite Special

17 comments:

Trace4J said...

Good Morning Friend
Oh my that looks so yummy.
I love turnips. Cooked and raw.
So enjoyed all you amish photos.
I am going to visit the amish this weekend with my girlfriends.
I may just stay.hehe
Woolie Hugs
Trace

Paulette said...

I am not a huge fan of vegetables, but your photo makes them look good.

Unknown said...

All of my favorite meals start with meat and end with sauce.. nothing wrong with that at all! :)

The Cranky said...

This looks positively delicious and is definitely going on my LBS recipe list.

Life Happens said...

Yummy! Looks delish. I love bok choy.

MadSnapper said...

i would love this as long as someone else cooks it for me....

Chatty Crone said...

Well I think it looked great. Yum!

Chatty Crone said...

Well I think it looked great. Yum!

Debra Hawkins said...

I haven't had Bok Choy in years! I think I HAVE to make this. I love the cashews. It looks amazing!

Denise said...

Looks really yummy.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

What a super delicious recipe!! I love everything in it!! Cashews are my favorite!!

Dewena said...

this looks delicious! I love bok choy. The sugar snap peas look so pretty in the dish too.

Terri D said...

It sure does look good, Judy!

Judy S. said...

Is this as tasty as it looks? Hope you're staying warm. Sounds like you got more snow?

Heide at ApronHistory said...

The pea pods look delicious! I might have to put this on the menu for this week. We can certainly use a little green!
I am sure I have had bok choy in chinese food before, just don't recall..... So not sure if I like it or not.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I'd love to tuck into a big plate of THAT! That looks so good, and all the ingredients are readily available.

Candace said...

Yum!! That looks soooo good, Judy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails