Monday, February 25, 2013

Neighborhood Amish Schoolhouse


It's about 34 degrees F. as I write this post. The sunshine feels warm, so now if only that big white blanket of snow would go away! I'm looking forward to spring, and in a few weeks I'll start planting seeds indoors.

The day I took these photos, it was probably ten degrees colder. I don't usually see as many buggies at the Amish school as I did that day. I don't know what the occasion was, but I suspect there must have been something special going on.


I actually love the muted colors of these buildings on the farm across the street from the school. I don't know if the lack of paint has more to do with absence of funds or the fact that the tax assessment goes up when you take care of your property.

The sign warns passers-by of the bull that's often staked in the ditch.

Corn Crib



When I zoomed in on this photo, I made sure to gray out the faces of the children. Also, I thought it was hilarious that the kid on the right looks like he's pushing the buggy with his forehead. I'm not sure what he's actually doing, unless they have a little spot of ice out there where they're playing.

Essential Playground Equipment




Same Building, Photo from October 2012

Since I'm writing this on a Sunday afternoon, I'm thinking about watching an old Campion movie on Netflix. If I fall asleep on the couch, it doesn't matter, because I've seen all the Campion movies multiple times - and still enjoy them. But I've also found that they're great to fall asleep by, as long as I keep the volume up high enough.  It's not quite as effective as riding (not driving) in the car, but almost. From what I understand, my parents started this when I was a colicky infant.

I'm hoping that Bridger recovers from whatever it is he did to his front leg. He already has so many issues with his back legs (degenerative disc disease), that I won't put this 12 year old shepherd through the grief of loading into a car to go visit the vet. I'm going to try to keep him quiet, give him the pain meds prescribed, and see how it goes.


Even so, nothing keeps that dog from wanting to go out onto the deck and lie in the snow.


***


'Forest Floor'
Natural, Homemade Vegan Soap
4.5+ oz. bars

...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at



20 comments:

Olive said...

That weathered red paint is beautiful to me. Joe will not paint our old house for several reasons but one is because they will surely raise our taxes. This wee town is strapped for money and the cost of living here is high. Wishing you a good week, Olive

MadSnapper said...

i bet that snow feels good through all that fur coat he is wearing. poor pup.... i love that barn, the red close up, the one above the pig sign... all of these are really great, if we put a little old sepia texture they could have been taken a hundred years ago

Eileen H said...

Sending get well soon wishes to Bridger, poor lad.
Perhaps the cold snow helps his aches and pains.

Sarah said...

I always enjoy your pictures. These are beautiful, like always. We are surrounded by Amish where we live and they are some of our best neighbors. They are always willing to lend a helping hand. I hope Bridger feels better soon!

Sarah @ This Farm Family's Life

Diane said...

Nice photos! My town sends residents threatening letters about upkeep such as painting, dead trees, etc. Nothing like good fellowship! I shouldn't have got started on that! Tell Bridger that snow isn't good for 12 year old bones! Hope he feels better!

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,

I like these photos, very quiet ones and I love the looks, and as Sandra said it breathes old times. Hope Bridger will feel better soon, it's not good to eat snow. Enjoy your week!

Hugs x

Empty Nester said...

Aw, how cute is Bridger in the snow?! We're having 50 and 60 degree weather. Some of the trees seem to be producing buds already. I'm not ready for spring seeing as how we've not had winter yet. Again. Your snow looks so beautiful to me though I'm sure it wouldn't after a few weeks of it. LOL The pictures are lovely! I also like the dull of the buildings against the snow. Makes for a great photo!

NanaNor's said...

Hi Judy, I love your photos of the Amish school house-I love all things Amish. Your Bridger reminds me of my Hunter-except Hunter is a 1 yr old, 12 lb, Bichon would adores the snow. Loves rolling in it and getting his face in it-who would have thought that such a small dog would love the cold snow.
Thanks for sharing with us today.
hugs, Noreen

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh my gosh, Judy, I just read your post at the most appropriate time! I haven't been at the computer all day because Greg decided that since we're getting bombarded with more snow, he's finally doing the project I ask him to do 5 years ago. Hanging the old barn tin in our dining/living room. I snuck away to get on the computer for a minute and what awesome photo's! I would show them to him, but he doesn't know I let him and not helping. Thank you!

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

That should have said "left him" not "let him". See, I'm trying to hurry before he realizes I'm gone!

Chatty Crone said...

I have to say the Amish life style always has fascinated me - I would love to see it in person.

Terri D said...

Hi Judy. Wonderful photos, and the muted colors and weathered buildings are truly beautiful. Your pup may like the cold on him legs. I hope the pain meds help him. It's so hard when our fur-children grow old.

Unknown said...

Judy I think your photos might just be my favorite of any I've seen in the blogmosphere!!!
Just breathtaking -
Praying for Bridger - what a beauty...
Big hugs,
Suzan

Debbie Jones said...

I have always been fascinated with the Amish and their way of life. Great pictures. Enjoy your week and stay warm!

vintage grey said...

Sweet photos and it does look like that boy is pushing the buggy! Hope your sweet puppy feels better! xo Heather

Denise said...

Praying for Bridger.

Suzan said...

Lovely snow shots and looking at the Amish from a far! Such an interesting group of people. Hoping puppy feels better.

Muffy's Marks said...

The Amish fascinate me!! When we worked and were weekenders to the northwoods, we always stopped at the Amish bakery north of Bonduel to purchase a dozen chocolate chip cookies and some flax bread. Retirement isn't what its cracked up to be. We never pass that bakery anymore!!!

RebeccaT said...

I am so very glad you got these lovely buildings in some pictures, nice that you could get a few people in for a good effect too. Thank you for being polite and respectful as to block out faces. These really show such a different life that had always fascinated me!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What beautiful photos. I love the weathered red building, too! Enjoy your day. Hope Bridger is better now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails