Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Woolly Mammoth Au Jus

You never know until you try...

So I was digging through the freezer the other evening, trying to find something to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, to make for dinner the next day. After a few minutes of dredging up one package of Carmen peppers after another and several containers of basil pesto, I found a package of sirloin steaks. Yea!! Except the date on them was December 2006.

Okay, Readers, I know I probably lost a lot of you right here - as I know I've lost my daughters. They don't keep anything a minute past its best-by date. BUT, this woolly mammoth had been hidden in the ice all those years. What could possibly have gone wrong? Now I know enough not to expect great taste from it, but at least it wouldn't be spoiled or anything. I thought I'd give it a try.

So, just in case you run across a woolly mammoth in the bottom of your own freezer, here's one way you can cook it. And actually, it was delicious!

Woolly Mammoth Au Jus - CrockPot Recipe: 

Beef Sirloin Steaks, thawed - place in the CrockPot.
On top of the steaks, pour the following ingredients:
1 quart home-canned (or not) tomatoes, drained slightly
1 large peeled and sliced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 can black-eyed peas, drained, rinsed, and drained again
(I wanted to experiment. I was hoping to effect a symbiotic relationship between the woolly mammoth and the black-eyed peas. Much to my relief, it was a success.)
1/4 c. red wine
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
Black pepper

Turn CrockPot on LOW and let this beast cook for about 9 hours.

It was fabulous!

***

 'Morning Brew'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

Perfect kitchen soap - removes food odors from hands!
   

...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at



This post may be linked to some of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and  Cure for the Common Monday and Mealtime Monday and Clever Chicks Blog Hop and Mosaic Monday  and Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and On the Menu Monday and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and   What's in the Gunny Sack and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and Love Bakes Good Cakes and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Overflowing With Creativity and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and  Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and  A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and  Saturday Nite Special

25 comments:

Unknown said...

7 years old Judy LMHOROTF!!!!!!!!!
You're brave ( glad it turned out so delcious - but YOU'RE BRAVE )
XOX

Samantha said...

I had issues with eating chocolate that went out of date last September....I couldn't eat something 7 years out of date lol!

But well done you :D Very thrifty! :D

Yenta Mary said...

Not only have you not lost me, you've just earned a whole new level of love from me - waste not! He's been in permafrost, and he got a long, slow, tenderizing round in the crockpot - perfection. Studies keep showing that expiration dates are unnecessarily severe; you know it's a legal thing, rather than a safety thing, in our society. And it's not like you ate mayonnaise that had been sitting on the counter for 7 years!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I hope you do not mind but I decided to submit your site:
http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3212581401252445388&postID=938247935886674046 to my on-line directory website.
I used, "Blogger: Cranberry Morning" as your website title.

I hope this is ok with you. In case you'd like me to change the title or remove it entirely, contact me at sarahkrebs@gmail.com. Thanks for your time.

My web blog: driveway cost

Denise said...

Bless your heart, very brave of you.

Unknown said...

HA!! That's funny... hey, the way I look at it.. that which does not kill us, makes us stronger!! lol

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

You ARE brave, Judy! I'm kind of scared to even dig to the bottom of our freezer. I leave it there and hope that someday it'll just fade away. I've got to admit, it sounds delicious, though. Who knew?!

MadSnapper said...

when i saw your post title, i thought, she cooked a wooly mammoth? i am with your daughters, it would have been long gone, i will not use canned goods or boxed goods after they expire, hubby would have cooked it and he will use anything that has expired. i would never have thought of black eyes and beef together.

sweetbriardreams said...

Well compared to what they are finding here in Britain in our 'in date' food, at least yours was beef and not horse!! Well done you, waste not want not. Take care. Chel

tlcukjourney said...

2006?
Good Lord All Mighty, you must have prayed over it!!
I would have run the other way! But it sure does look like it tasted good!

Judy S. said...

The magic crockpot wins again! We find those kind of surprise items occasionally also. Aren't you supposed to age beef? LOL

Muffy's Marks said...

I tried to get all the Woolies out of the freezer before we left for Arizona. But if one remains, I'm trying your recipe!! My daughter and your's could be sisters.

Ruth Kelly said...

It the item is out of date and is not frozen or canned, I will toss it. Oh how I hate to waste food but it does happen.

Terri D said...

I'm not sure I would try something that old, but it's nice to know yours turned out good. I love the recipe you shared, and will print it out for future (within recommended dates) reference!! LOL You ARE brave, but seriously...if your freezer is at '0' temp and the package was vacuum sealed, I'm sure it was probably fine (as it obviously was).

Debra Hawkins said...

I am pretty brave with expiration dates but that is a little braver than I am. It looks delicious!

Paulette said...

I don't know if I would have been brave enough to use it. Like everyone else I find you a very brave woman :))

Amy Burzese said...

That's pretty brave. I am not a stickler for use by dates. But, if it looks frost bitten, it's out. The recipe looks great though. Thanks for the laugh. :)

Carla from The River said...

That sounds good!
I like what Mary Yenta had to say. :)

Deborah said...

Oh my goodness...I am so glad this was not the night you invited guests over my friend.(and I am glad you did not go to the hospital). :-)

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love crock pot recipes!! I bet I have a few Woolly mammoths in my big freezer also.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that!! I would use that mammoth too. Made spaghetti sauce with 3 year old bison last week~~~yum.
XO, Linda

Chatty Crone said...

I think from 2006 I might have thrown it away - I think for me - I would have been scared - but then it worked out!

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

This sounds wonderful. Who cares if the meat is from 2006, like you said it was frozen.

Kim said...

LOL Last summer I cleaned out the freezer and I found a package of pork chops from a similar era. (I didn't cook them though) :)

RebeccaT said...

Oh my, I don't think I could have eaten them, but I am looking forward to trying this with fresh ingredients! Thanks for inpsiring my dinners...its so hard to be creative when we have so much cold and ice right now...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails