Friday, July 23, 2010

The B6160, Yorkshire, Part I - Kettlewell

 Click on image to enlarge

First of all, I have to tell you something I found online. I could hardly believe it: The area of Wisconsin is 54375 square miles. It has a population of 5.6 million. The area of England is 50352 square miles. It has a population of 51 million. And yet, you can drive through the beautiful English countryside and never see anyone for miles. Of course, it does depend upon where you are. Still, isn't that amazing!!

One of the prettiest drives we took in England was in the North Yorkshire Dales, from Leyburn to Kettlewell on the B6160, on our way to Embsay, where we would spend the last night of our trip.

One thing we'd learned earlier:  Although Mapquest says the 19.7 miles between should take 30 minutes, don't believe it for a minute! If we doubled the time, that would be more accurate. It always took longer to get anywhere, for there was never a straight path to our destination!

 Along the B6160

The roads in England are different. I'm trying to come up with a less-than-disparaging adjective here.  What they call 'A' roads are like our county roads in Wisconsin. 'B' roads are like...um...maybe our town roads, if you eliminated the ditches. But they're often flanked by stone walls or hedges. And they are narrow. In Yorkshire they are full of curves, often steep, and always amidst the most amazing scenery. Definitely worth the trouble.

A pretty door in Kettlewell

 Bridge and Blue Bell Inn, Kettlewell

There seem to be many walkers, even busloads of them, who walk those great hills around Kettlewell. Walking is a huge pastime over there. You can see the hills in the background of this photo, behind the Blue Bell Inn. I love all the stone everything in Yorkshire! But then, I wasn't the one who had to lift and carry those stones.


As I opened the car door, the first thing I saw were the two ducks standing beside the car. No idea why that chicken wire was on the ground, but it was. My husband wondered why I took the photo of ducks - because we actually do have ducks in Wisconsin. He said the same thing about the sheep I was continually photographing.

The bleak hills of Kettlewell

Downtown Kettlewell - notice the building material?

The villages are so close together here!

Racehorses Hotel - and iconic phone box


We weren't in Kettlewell long - just long enough to stretch our legs with a little walk and have tea and a treat at a little shop that charges far too much for blueberry pie and ice cream. But seeing Kettlewell and driving along the B6160 was so worth it. :-)

There's an entirely different England awaiting when you get out of London, Birmingham, Manchester, etc. and off the M roads
In other words, 'off the beaten path.'

Next week we will travel from Kettlewell south to Bolton Abbey. Hope to see you then. Bring your binoculars. There are some great views from the B6160.


Have a Great Weekend!

This post is linked to New Friend Friday


21 comments:

Kathiey's World said...

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I have never been to Europe. Your beautiful pictures make me want to go. I have never been to Wisconsin either, but I hear it is lovely.
Enjoy your trip!
I am visiting from New Friend Fridays
Thanks for posting:-)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

OHHHH!!! I have to come visit you. And my Mum!!! She's in Kent.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Nanny Dee said...

Hi Judy --thanks for stopping by my blog -- I haven't Googled it yet, but you really have me curious about COW magnets!! Where can I find some?

Your photos are beautiful, even in the area described as bleak. Lucky you -- hope you are having fun.

Dee

Caution/Lisa said...

Now I might have to google "chicken wire on the ground". I wonder why???

Diana Ferguson said...

Enjoying the "tour."

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm really enjoying living vicariously through you ;) Maybe one day when Lily is older we'll travel abroad.

Michelle said...

So charming. We have not made it to England. It's on my list of places I would love to visit. Maybe when the kids get a bit older. Keep the tour coming!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Thanks for the trip and tour. This Ozark farm chick doesn't get off the Ponderosa much and I just totally enjoyed your charming pictures.

From the happy hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa have a wonderfully blessed day!!!

Life Happens said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Beautiful countryside. Wish I could travel there someday.

Have a great weekend!

Debra Hawkins said...

I love, love, love England and I am so jealous! All your pictures are beautiful!

Candace said...

Someday, I'm going to visit there! Beautiful photos!

Mama Hen said...

My brother in law is from England and I have visited quite a few times. You captured some beautiful pictures! I love the ducks! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Denise said...

So very much enjoyed this post my friend.

Unknown said...

Check out my post...I passed a couple awards on to you!
http://jennsfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/07/there-once-was-lakediary-of-bad.html

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

"The roads in England are different. I'm trying to come up with a less-than-disparaging adjective here." That gave me my laugh of the day! I adore England, my husband is just so-so about it. After his first driving experience there, he vowed Never Again! The roundabouts got him every time!

Cranberry Morning said...

I'm wondering why MY brother-in-law can't be from England instead of Minnesota. ;-)

Besides the narrow, winding roads, were the 'ring roads' around any town of size. So easy to get on those and never get off again. And then the fact that the same road will be called by different names in different sections of road. NOT helpful. And street signs? You might be lucky to find one on the side of a building, maybe.

Then again, it IS a small island and maybe they're just not into encouraging more vehicles. ;-)

Mama Hen said...

Thank you for stopping by today! Looking at these pictures again makes me want to go back to England! I hope you have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

Unknown said...

That is amazing about the seeing people thing... wow.

I wondered about the chicken wire too when I saw your pic... Your hubby cracks me up re: ducks and sheep :)

J_on_tour said...

Great dialogue. Your photographs are well chosen and an accurate representation of this part of Yorkshire, I was in nearby Richmond yesterday for a walk with friends and it's the county for me at the moment. Keep up the good work

SomeGirl said...

Beautiful! Love the stone buildings and red phone booth!

jennyfreckles said...

How intriguing to see my area reflected through a visitor's eyes. I love Kettlewell - in fact I had some pics on my own blog some while back. I shall start following this trip of yours with interest.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails