Saturday, July 10, 2010

Church Marquees

This, I'm sad to report, is the marquee next to the church in the little town where I live. I cropped the photo to protect the guilty. Don't ask me why.

I won't even get into the ever-lingering question in my mind, 'WHY do churches feel a need to put stupid sayings on a sign in front of the building?'  Do they not want anyone at all to take God seriously?

Okay, I didn't say anything on Mothers' Day when the [same] church's marquee read, 'God couldn't be everywhere at once, so He gave us mothers.'  I did a double take and couldn't believe what I was reading - from a supposedly Gospel-teaching church. I happen to know the pastor went to seminary so he certainly should know better.

I resisted the urge to get out of the car and march into the church to voice a complaint. But I had to drive past the thing for days before it was changed to something less offensive and heretical.

But when this one (above) came on the scene a couple weeks ago, I figured the guy would surely be teaching to an empty church within a couple days. I still see cars there, though, so I'm not sure if the congregation didn't see the sign or what. Am I the only one who saw the marquee??

So maybe you're thinking, 'Chill, lady, what's the big problem? People do need to pray more.' That is certainly true. But one of the biggest problems in the church today, as I see it, is a LACK of theology. Does the pastor remember what 'theology' means?  It's the study of God, for Pete's sake.  

How can a preacher make his congregation understand that they're sinners in need of a Savior unless he first teaches them WHO GOD IS and who they are in relation to God. (Read the book of Job Chapters 38 and on if you've any question.) And if he's not doing that, then everybody might just as well skip the church service and go have a picnic in the park.

We don't need sermons that make us feel good about ourselves. We have lots of happy, self-satisfied people who will never see Jesus as their Savior, but will certainly meet Him as Judge. Pastors must teach their congregations that we have a holy God who doesn't take sin lightly, for the price of our salvation was the death of His only and sinless Son. Jesus, our risen Savior, is the only Rescue from a certain judgment to come.

I think that in the middle of the night I'll sneak away to the church marquee and switch letters so that it reads, 'We need more theology and MORE THEOLOGY.' I suppose I'll have to bring my own letters.

10 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, I totally agree. I would help you change the sign if I lived closer.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, so true! Thank you for sharing. Need to be in the Word learning daily about Him!

PRIMERICA FREEDOM FIGHTERS said...

Love your passion! I totally double dare you to go switch the letters...hey apparently the congregation isn't reading the marquee anyway, so maybe no one will notice, right??? :o)

Bethany Nash said...

I was just thinking about this again the other day... really, in today's culture, it must be a challenge to have LESS theology.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

From what I've seen with a lot of churches, it seems that they get people to come based on the events held or their "cool" pastors. I know MANY people who base which church they go to by what kind of craft and bake sales they have. My mother in law went to a church that her husband wanted to go to, even though she wasn't that religion. They didn't care what religion she was, they just wanted her to participate in the craft sale. Church has become more of a social event than a worship of God. People don't want to learn about God, then they would be accountable for their actions.

I am grateful that my religion focuses solely on teaching about God and what He really wants. Everything is completely bible based, not based on the ideas of man at all.

Leigh said...

I dont believe it is Biblical to have one head pastor of a church.....there should be qualified men in every church to teach from The Bible

Cranberry Morning said...

Thanks for all the good, thoughtful comments! We've had company (my brother and his family whom we really enjoy spending time with!) this weekend so I'm not responding individually to comments as I usually do.

Also, I'm never sure what to do when a commenter has no email listed and no blog. I'd love to respond personally, but am not sure how to do it.

I think we all agree that the church today is in need of revival, which will happen when we get back to God and His Word. I hope you all have a blessed Lord's Day.

Debra Hawkins said...

I totally agree. I have always wondered why churches do these boards. It has never made sense to me. There is a church by where I live that on Easter it advertised the God's Easter with a sermon and then a "Fun Easter" right after with an Easter Egg hunt. We all raised out eyebrows at that one.

- Debra Hawkins
Check out and join the Housewife Eclectic Blogshare community. Find new blogs and let other people find you! http://www.housewifeeclectic.com/p/housewife-eclectic-blogshare-community.html

SomeGirl said...

Hahaha... midnight church marquee "vandalism"... and the question is, "would they be offended?" hmmm... I often want to do midnight home decor "vandalism" and paint shutters or brick of houses that have been led astray. ;)

Btw, does it ever peeve you when church signs assume everyone driving by is an unbeliever? "Think it's HOT here? Think about where you'll spend eternity?" (a church in our old neighborhood)

{sorry, I'm a little hormonally grumpy over here} ;) lol

♥ Michelle

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I'm speechless. Are they serious???

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails