Tuesday, July 20, 2010

EASY PEASY PICNIC


I'm thinking that I use the word 'easy' in so many of my recipe intros. You can see that's important to me. I like good food, but I don't enjoy fussing over it for hours at a time. I love this menu for how easy it is and how visually attractive the food looks when set out. And, of course, it's always a bonus that it tastes good! :-)

Menu:
BBQ ribs
Steamed and buttered green beans, always better if they're fresh from the  garden!

I placed the ribs in the crockpot, poured some 'Famous Dave's' BBQ sauce over the top, and cooked on Low for several hours (like six or seven?) Toward the end, my husband got the charcoal grill going, and when it was ready, put the ribs on the grill to get them crispy on the outside. They were delicious!

Steamed and buttered green beans? Well, green beans and butter. Don't skimp on the butter. And don't over-steam them. They need to be bright green and still a tad crunchy! Salt and pepper to taste. What more could they need. They look so pretty left whole, rather than cut up.

My mom always set a pretty table. So to me, it matters a lot how food appears, not just how it tastes.

The thrift store is a good place to look for inexpensive and unusual serving dishes. The right thing in the right bowl makes an attractive table. I'm still working on it. :-) I think my mom would be pleased with the food I make...and horrified that my dogs get to be in the kitchen.


This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

and Tuesday Tag-Along
and Tuesdays at the Table 

19 comments:

Denise said...

I think your mom would be well pleased dear.

Caution/Lisa said...

I really was available for dinner last night, you know!

Unknown said...

I love starting ribs in the crockpot..it's so easy and they come out soooooo good!!! Everything sounds delicious!

partialemptynester said...

Nothin wrong with easy :)

megan said...

that pasta salad looks so good!!

Mhel said...

oh! what a meal! everything looks soooo yummy!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your salad looks delicious and makes for a wonderful summer meal. This is my first visit to your blog, so I've been browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I love the welcoming tone of your blog and I will be back often. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Yenta Mary said...

What a perfect picnic!!! It's not yet time for lunch, but now I'm fixating on ribs and beans after reading this!

iammommahearmeroar said...

Note to myself: I shouldn't look at your blog when I'm hungry! Yum! I just want to reach into the screen and sink my teeth into those ribs! That meal does look really pretty, too!

PS - The book is just titled "Baby Book." It's a book from the 50's that my mother-in-law gave me when I was pregnant with my first son.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I would really like some fresh from the garden peas, please! :)

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Melinda said...

Now this is my kind of meal! I've always been unsure just how to do ribs on the grill - thanks for making it seem so easy!

Candace said...

I've never thought about starting the ribs in the crockpot and then grilling them. I need to try that....and that pasta salad looks wonderful!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Sometimes easy is the best! :D

Unknown said...

Those beans look delish!I will have to tell Puddie about the ribs... he will sooo want to make them.

SomeGirl said...

Yum! You and Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet do me in with your recipes while I'm surfing at night! If I gain weight I'm blaming you two!! ;) lol

Btw, thrifting is one of my FAVORITE things to do!! Too bad we're so far apart... we could have SO much FUN together! ♥ Michelle

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Who can say no to steamed green beans? My toddler literally BEGS for them. With butter, of course :)

Mama Hen said...

I like easy recipes! Who has time for complicated? Have a great night!

Mama Hen

missykade said...

Following you from TTA would love to have you return the favor, if you haven't already, and visit us @
http://lucasjourneyspd.blogspot.com


Also please stop back on Friday's and Sunday's to join in our Blog hops we would love to have you link up : )

Diana Ferguson said...

Sorry I missed that great looking meal!! HA

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails