Thursday, July 22, 2010

First Picking of Raspberries


It's not much, but it's a start. Last year our biggest raspberry pickings were the first part of August. I think they're going to be a tad earlier this year, due to all the rain we've had. 

Picking raspberries isn't fun. You have to wear long sleeves and jeans in the hottest part of the year, and fight with mosquitoes and thorns, not to mention the net if you put one over the top of the berries to keep the birds from eating them all.  But I'm thankful for the berries. This variety, whatever it is, makes especially delicious jam!


More produce. The peapods draining, after being blanched, almost ready for the freezer. My husband made this great hardware cloth basket, a basket that is large enough to get a lot of peas blanched at once - no monkeying around here! - and nearly fills a 14" diameter pot.  It may not be pretty, but it's very functional! I kept out some peapods to use in a sirloin stirfry later in the week.


...and even more produce! We had our first green beans from the garden last week. They are amazing!

I've got to get to the Farmers' Market and see if they still have blueberries.  What are you eating these days from your garden or the Farmers' Market?

18 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Raspberries are our favorite fruit ever!!! Yummy!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Denise said...

Everything looks great my friend. We are eating from the farmers market: raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, greenbeans, and squash.

Linda Stubbs said...

I just love raspberries! One of my favorite fruits. I make a Jalapeno/Raspberry jam that is wonderful. It is in one of my posts, Don't know where though.
We are eating fresh picked plums and lots of tomatoes. It is wonderful!

Thank you so much for all your encouragement!

I wish I could come with you to Farmer's Market and buy those wonderful blueberries you all have. Num!
Blessings, Linda

Michelle said...

Ahh, I have found memories actually of sneaking some black and red rasberries off my Grandparents bushes! We just picked blueberries while visiting my parents, I can not wait to plant our own blueberries. I hear you on the netting!!! I just blanched some greenbeans myself, them, the tomatoes and the herbs are doing the best this year in our garden oh and the jalapenos! No bugs seem to like to eat those:-)

Sunny Sue said...

Everything looks really good! The only thing we have been eating from the farmers' markets are peaches. They are oh-so-good! Our favorite place to visit near my in-laws makes homemade peach, strawberry and blueberry soft serve ice cream. All from their own fruit. I am convinced that God will have it in heaven!

Unknown said...

I love raspberries, they have to be my all time favorite fruit. Yours look beautiful! Congrats on all your lovely garden gifts!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to stop by and thank you for reading my blog. I love your comments!

P.S. those pictures look great! I love fresh fruit and veggies. Looking forward to having my own garden someday.

SomeGirl said...

I think the hardware cloth basket *is* pretty... I'd want one! :) And your raspberries and green beans look GREAT! ♥ Michelle

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Looks great! It's better than nothing, right? Hope you get more raspberries soon!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I agree picking raspberries is a drag at best! My bushes have been prolific this year, I'm grateful because that means we'll have tons of delicious jam. I'm with you, no clue what variety my berries are but boy, they make awesome jelly!

The beans & peas are lovely too. I'm jealous of that basket, it would make blanching so much easier!

Unknown said...

Yum! We are eating beans and taters. Some zucchini and lots of cukes :) Can't wait for the maters and corn to be ready.

Bethany Nash said...

Those green beans are delicious! I should know, I'm eating some right now. :)

Cassiopeia said...

Looks. So. Good.

I love raspberries, and fresh vegetables.

Feeling a little hungry now for some reason.

Mama Hen said...

We were just at the farm today! We get a batch of fruits and veggies each week! Yummy! Today the tomatoes looked so delicious I am going to have to make a salsa out of them. Thank you for your comment! Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Debra Hawkins said...

Those raspberries looks delicious! I want to go out and buy some now!

partialemptynester said...

LOVE the hardware cloth basket! I was double-taking before I realized your hubby had MADE it!! Very cool!!

The raspberries look absolutely delish!!!!!!!

We're still eating peaches around here...

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Those raspberries look divine!! Homemade jam is awesome!

I have the same stoneware as in the last picture. :D

Jessica said...

Wow looks like nice berries!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails