Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jicama Salad with Black Beans

I was in the grocery store, looking for jicama for this salad, when I spotted the teenage produce stocker, busy opening boxes of fruit. When I asked him if they carried jicama, he looked as though he were trying to translate that into something which was in his vocabulary. I told him it started with a J, thinking that might help. It didn't. 

'Nevermind, that's okay,' I said, and continued looking for the elusive vegetable. Eventually I did find it, on a shelf near the floor, under the onion bin. I'm still puzzled by that.

 
The lowly jicama
This jicama salad with black beans is a delicious summer salad I changed slightly from a South Beach recipe.

Ingredients:
1 small jicama, pared (or is it 'peeled')* and diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 handfuls of fresh peapods, cut on the diagonal
1 can petite diced tomatoes or 2-3 large tomatoes, diced
2 t. finely cut cilantro
3 T. fresh lime juice (juice from 1 small lime)
1 t. cumin
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
coarse ground black pepper
sea salt

In a large bowl, whisk olive oil, lime juice, and cumin.  Add remaining ingredients and mix. Sprinkle with ground black pepper and sea salt. 

As a side dish, this should serve 8-10 people. If you're looking for something with lots of COLOR and CRUNCH, this is definitely it.


* pared vs. peeled:  Here's my theory - It just seems right (in other words, I have absolutely no proof) that you peel something that can have its skin removed with your fingers - like a banana, an orange, and a grapefruit. You pare something that has a skin that requires a knife or 'potato peeler' ?? to remove it, e.g. a potato, an apple, or a jicama.


So, what do you think? Feel free to weigh in on paring or peeling the jicama. :-)



This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
and Tuesdays at the Table
and Tuesday Tag-Along


15 comments:

Unknown said...

I always say I'm going to try using jicama in my dishes and I never do...maybe this was the inspiration I need :)

the country cook said...

That looks good! I always say I'm going to "peel", but your philosophy makes sense (especially since I own a "paring" knife).

Rachel said...

Maybe I should have visited your blog AFTER I ate lunch. That looks wonderful!! And now I'm really hungry! My peanut butter sandwich I brought for lunch doesn't look so good anymore!! ;)

Have a great day!

:)
Rachel

Judy S. said...

Sounds healthy as well as crunchy! Loved yesterday's photo. Did you get all the rain that Milwaukee did?

Deborah said...

Looks good my friend. I will try this recipe as it includes 'wonderful, wonderful beans'. (don't we love our beans?)I always get a kick out of buying some of my produce and and going to the check-out line to pay for it. Sometimes even the simplest thing like an avocado, the young people ask me what it is. I guess they don't eat it. :)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

That is the perfect summer salad!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mhel said...

Hi Judy! thanks for your comforting words. I will surely miss our puppy Reave.

We call it "Singkamas" here in the Philippines. We usually just slice it in big strips and dip in "bagoong" or fermented shrimp paste. This is the first recipe i have encountered about singkamas. I would love to try this one. thanks for sharing this!

PRIMERICA FREEDOM FIGHTERS said...

I haven't even logged onto the internet for about a week, and the day I do I come to another recipe and picture of some AMAZING looking dish...I must be on Cranberry Morning ;o) This looks fabulous!:o)!!!

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Ooo...so going to try this recipe. I love jicama and the other ingredients are right up my alley! I think my Lily would enjoy this, too. Too funny about the teenager, but I can totally see that! Luckily my near-3 year old already knows the difference between blue cheese and goat cheese and a variety of other yummy goodies.

Mama Hen said...

This looks delicious! I have to try this recipe! I love getting new ideas of what to make! Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Pam said...

Sadly, I have nevered tried jicama. I will have to now!

Candace said...

Yum! I have never given the "pare" or "peel" much thought. I just do it. Wish I could find jicama here in Louisiana. I absolutely love it. I ate it a lot when I lived in New Mexico. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Have a great Wednesday,
Candace

Debra Hawkins said...

OK, I hate beans but this looks delicious. I am seriously thinking about taking a break from my no bean rule for this.

Denise said...

That looks really delicious.

Bethany Nash said...

Wow. I didn't even know that "pared" existed. Learned something new today (and not in math, yay!).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails