Monday, October 24, 2011

Back From Denver

Looking Toward Rocky Mountain National Park

It's an 18 hour drive from our house to Denver. 1036 miles, to be exact. Each way, in case you missed that. As you can see, we took a trip into the beautiful Rocky Mountains, although I think they call this the foothills. Looked like mountains to me. How beautiful!

I think this is Lake Evergreen. 
I was so happy that there was no snow on those mountain roads. 




 Evergreen, A little very-Western town in the mountains
I kept expecting Roy Rogers to come galloping around the corner

We had a lovely time with my brother's family, (How I wish they lived closer) and then it was time to head back home. Another 18 hours in the car. I shouldn't complain; they've made that trip from Colorado to Wisconsin many times!

I'm leaving you with photos of eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, and southern Minnesota.






Notice a theme here?? They don't call the Great Plains 'America's Breadbasket' for nothing. As we were traveling those many hours in the car, I couldn't help thinking about those pioneering families in the mid-1800s who courageously left their homes in the East and traveled by wagon out onto the vast prairie, with the promise of land and a bright future in the West.

And then I think of Donner Pass.



Photobucket

14 comments:

Angela said...

So glad you made it home safely. :) Were the dogs glad to see you?

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I've never been to Colorado. I would love to sometime, though. I'll bet the drive was beautiful with all the of the fall colors.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Yay Colorado, my home sweet home!! I'm in Colo Springs, not too terribly far from where you were :) Isn't it beautiful here?? I love it!! Rocky Mt National is amazing, we took a long weekend there about 2 months ago and loved every second of it. Great shots!! The snow capped peaks are beautiful!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you had a great trip. Gorgeous photos! Love the ones of the plains, LOL!

laurie said...

Looks like a great trip!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous pictures, Judy! And I have to say thank you for the shots from Nebraska - Although it might look a bit drab to people, it will always be home to me!! ;)

Carla from The River said...

I love the photo of Evergreen. Is it a tourist, ski town?

Under Her Wings said...

You could make a gravel pit look inviting, Judy! Glad you're back safe and sound.

Unknown said...

Stay out of all passes during the winter! Awesome pics! I sooo miss the Rockies. Haven't seen them in ten years unless you count a fly over, and I don't! Headed back in to the combine today to pick corn. Finally into some vertical fields! Wooo! Still have about 600 acres out there to pick if my brain is working well this morning. These will go faster than the last 500!

Life Happens said...

That is a looong drive! Glad you got time to spend with family though. Great pictures along the way. I often think of the early saints/pioneers of our church who made that treck across the plains too. I don't think I would have survived!

Hope you are getting settled back at home. Ever feel like you need a vacation from the vacation to get back into the swing of things?!

Judy said...

Our school 6th grade camp was in Evergreen, CO; very fun! Forgot to mention that there's interesting info about Bundt cake at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundt_cake I suppose the reason it's capitalized is because all German nouns are capitalized, but it's also a US trademark name. (acc. to Wikipedia)

Candace said...

I love Colorado. It's so beautiful out there! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip.

Deborah said...

The photos are beautiful and I am glad you had a good time. I am sure the dogs missed you. :)

J_on_tour said...

Nice place that your family live at. I particularly like the photo of the river through the trees. 18 hours is a lot of photo time. I would have difficulty with keeping the post this short with photos. A bit of a contrast going on between the two groups of photos.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails