Tuesday, October 25, 2011

GF Applesauce Cake with Apple Cider Frosting


Remember those hundred pints of applesauce I canned this fall? Some of it went into a delicious gluten-free cake pictured above.

A friend gave me a copy of The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free. What a fun book! Start with a gluten-free cake mix and end up with a scrumptious dessert!

Applesauce Cake with Apple Cider Glaze Recipe:

Vegetable oil spray, for misting the pan
1 T. cinnamon sugar (mix cinnamon and sugar together and place in a shaker)
1  15oz. pkg. yellow gluten-free cake mix
1/4 c. lightly packed light brown sugar
1 cup chunky applesauce
1/3 c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 t. ground cinnamon, or more to taste
Dash of ground nutmeg.

Mix the ingredients and bake the cake in a Bundt pan. (I'm not sure why I capitalized that. Is there a country of Bundt that I don't know about? or maybe it's the inventor's name?) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until the top springs back when you touch it.

Remove baked cake from oven and set on a rack for 10 minutes before inverting it.

Meanwhile, make the glaze: 1 c. confectioners' sugar combined with 2 T. apple cider. Mix til smooth.

It's that easy, and boy is it a moist cake!

In my first attempt, I got a little carried away with the glaze, but it really doesn't need as much glaze as all that.


 First cake
Too much glaze

Second cake
Glaze too thin

I haven't baked the third cake yet, but you can see that the thickness of the glaze needs to be somewhere between the first and second cakes. I think the lesson I learned here is:  It's okay to throw away the extra glaze. It doesn't all have to be used on the cake!

Try it. You'll love this cake!!


This post is linked to: Making the World Cuter Mondays and Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and Making Monday Marvelous and Made from Scratch Tuesday and Delectable Tuesday and Anything Related Tuesday and Take a Look Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday  and Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and  Wandering Wednesday and What's Cookin' Wednesday and We Did it Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and Thrilling Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and Favorite Things Friday and I'm Lovin' it Friday and It's a Hodgepodge Friday  and Fat Camp Friday and Fun With Food Friday
Photobucket

18 comments:

Joyce said...

This looks really good. I've just made a couple of batches of homemade applesauce so i think I might have to try it : )

Unknown said...

Oh darn, you have to make that wonderfully, delicious cake again??? That must be awful!! lol
Love the apple cider glaze..that would work well on so many sweet things!

Life Happens said...

Is there such a thing as too much glaze??!! Looks delish!

Caution/Lisa said...

I asked the family last night if they would like me to bake something today. They answered, "Yes," but they couldn't think of what that might be. Thanks for helping us out :)

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love a good apple cake served warm with cool whip on top! On my to do list today is to make one more batch of apple mini muffins with the last of our apple picking bounty.

Michelle
A-Tisket A-Tasket

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, man, does that look amazing!!! Perfect for fall, and I've got everything I need at home to make my own since I can't just hop in the car and head over to your house for a slice of cake and a cup of coffee and a nice chat ... :)

Mama Hen said...

Let me get a cup of coffe and some of that delicious cake and I will be so happy! This looks realy yummy! Thank you for your kind comment. I have been missing my dad a lot lately. Have a great day!

Mama Hen

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Looks yummy! I bet the glaze would be great on doughnuts too! :)

Rachel said...

I think my dad would LOVE that!! It looks wonderful!

Hope you are doing well! Miss talking to you!!

:)
Rach

George The Lad said...

18 hours in a car!! sorry commenting on the wrong post! Denver sure looks a beauitful place, I think you just might be able to make John O Groats to land end in less time.
That Cake cake dose look tastie, another recipe for the book
Have a good week
See Yea George xxx

Amy said...

Your cake looks delicious and wonderful. Must be surper moist with the homemade apple sauce. :)

Judy said...

Looks very tasty. Does it dry out overnight? (Assuming there's any left!) That's my chief complaint about GF stuff. Loved your photos from Denver; brought back lots of memories....

Unknown said...

I just love the first cake. Course I like a lot of icing on mine.....looks so yummy! I just love your blog, always a delight to visit. I'm going to visit your store, haven't been there yet.
Blessings!
Kimberly

Pam said...

Love your cake, it has to be delicious! Love your plates too, I've got the apple pattern.

Cranberry Morning said...

For any who may be interested, yes, this cake stays moist. It's dense and moist and amazing! :-)

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh, I would love that cake!!! Can I just come visit for a little bit and taste all the goodies you bake up? Heck, I'll even eat the glaze you throw away!

Candace said...

Next time, just pack up that extra glaze and send it to me! It looks unbelievably delicious!

Lisa said...

Yum, that looks so yummy. Thank-you for linking it with my Food and Health Carnival.
Have a great weeked.
Gluten Free
Healthy Living

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails