Friday, October 28, 2011

Bridges of London (a few)

Somewhere I read that these are the pilings from the old London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway bridge near Blackfriars.  Please correct me if that's wrong, for I have no idea. But I thought they were pretty. :-)


 Blackfriar's Bridge, London

Blackfriars is where the GHOST from London Walks took my daughters and me (by car - I think he felt sorry for us lost-looking Americans) so we could catch the Tube after the most fun walk ever! Check it out at London Walks.  Even if you never take a London Walk, David Tucker's narrative is a blast! Oh, and by the way, David Tucker is originally from Wisconsin! He went to Oxford for his Ph.D. and ended up buying London Walks.


 Westminster Bridge, taken from the EYE
obviously
 There are three bridges that I can see in this photo.
The nearest is Westminster Bridge
The second nearest is Lambeth Bridge
The farthest is Vauxhall Bridge
I think

The Westminster by Gaslight walk (also from walks.com) took us from the Westminster Tube Station, east across Westminster Bridge, then south along the River Thames, west across Lambeth Bridge, and north along the west side of the Palace of Westminster (Parliament) til we were back where we started.

Right. This isn't a bridge. 

But it is the view we had as we were walking south along the east bank of the Thames and looking across the river. It's a beautiful sight.


 Crossing Tower Bridge


 I had thought this was in east London, but then realized that it's either a sunrise or a sunset. I don't think we would have been on the river at sunrise, so it must be sunset, which means we're looking west. So I guess it's the 'mystery bridge.' Is it possible that it's the Cannon Street Railway Bridge? for I think I see St. Paul's off to the right, upriver.
If anyone knows, Please let me know.


 Tower Bridge again

Millennium Bridge
the other side of which can be found a vendor selling ♪Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire♪ But I'm warning you now: don't bother to sing the song. It was totally lost on him. ;-)
I know. My daughter says, 'Mom, you're such a tourist!!)


Have a great weekend, everyone!

...and more!

Check out all my soaps at



Photobucket

12 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh, sniff sniff...I should know better than to come here on Fridays : ) I love the London Walks and recommend them to people who ask me for tourist tips. You definitely see another side of life and you learn all sorts of interesting little trivia.

Have a nice weekend!

Unknown said...

lol.. you are a tourist, but I love it. Without you I would never get to see England in such a beautiful way!!

Unknown said...

Tower Bridge and Westminster are my two favs because they take me to some of my favorite spots in London. Thanks for the get away....now back to the corn fields.

Jean | Delightful Repast said...

Ooh, the Westminster by Gaslight walk sounds like something I would love! Just when I get content to possibly never see England again, YOU get me all stirred up with your wonderful photos!

Ruth Kelly said...

Love the bridges and was a reminder of my trip to London. I really want to do the walk in York - they have interesting ghost stories. Perhaps, some day if I can find someone to go with me.

Carla from The River said...

Judy,
Tell me more about the Thames river. It looks like it has a fast current. Is the water color what it is due to the soil, or is it dirty from pollution? Just curious.

Under Her Wings said...

Keep those pictures coming! I'd rather see London by photo and Paris by foot (or Metro!) I did enjoy my one time in London, seriously.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures. But the title has me singing Werewolves of London LOL. We are so ready for Halloween here.



BOO!

laurie said...

It sounds like so much fun! Such awesome photos!

Tiffanee said...

Wow! So beautiful and breathtaking! Thanks for sharing.

Judy S. said...

Your photos always make me want to hop the nearest plane to London....if only it weren't so pricey! (Pictures are the next best thing, right?)

J_on_tour said...

It must have felt so special to have one of your neighbours show you around London. I'm by no means an expert on London and the mystery sunrise/sunset photo does look like at first glance what you thought but I am non the wiser after an extended street view google search from various bridges except to say that the spire on the top look longer than St Pauls.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails