Friday, October 14, 2011

The Trials of Life

Flowering Kale
another example of God's amazing design


I figure that I got a total of about three hours of sleep last night. I was starting to feel a bit cranky about that this morning, when I remembered some of the real trials others are going through: a daughter dealing with cancer, a young couple looking for work, a friend with diabetes, unbelieving friends and relatives, strained relationships, etc. Suddenly my few hours of sleep was such a minor issue by comparison.

Although I'm still feeling tired from it, those hours of sleeplessness were not unproductive. God brought to mind so many people who needed prayers, so that I could pray for them - and without any distractions. I really don't think it was any coincidence that I was given those sleepless hours. Of course I pray for others daily. But it's amazing, when there isn't a list of jobs looking at me, when there are uninterrupted hours of darkness, how it's so much easier to spend real time, focused time, sharing the burdens of others and lifting them up to the only One who can really do anything about them.

I know it's true that all believers in Christ go through trials, for God tells us that we will endure trials as He is making us more and more like His Son. We are not here to have a happy life free of care; we are here to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Part of that package is the trials that all Christ followers share, whether it's financial troubles, unbelieving loved ones, difficult marriages, disease, disability, rebellious children, etc. We need to remember, when we tend to think that some believers lead a 'charmed life,' that many endure trials we never know about. All trials do not look the same. But we all have them. It's part of growing in the Lord.

Praise God that He is with us always and that He does, by His grace, work actively in our lives to make us more like Jesus.

'In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His son...'  - Romans 8:26-30



Photobucket

10 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

A good post for me to meditate on today.

Thank you....

In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
(1 Peter 1:6-9 ESV)

Life Happens said...

Lovely post. I love how you said
"All trials do not look the same". So true. We never know what people are going through.

Thank you for sharing. :)

Judy S. said...

A good reminder also to appreciate the times of no/fewer trials..... Thanks for the thoughtful post, Judy

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Amen!

Empty Nester said...

It took me so long to realize that people suddenly popping into my head at different times was a sign to pray for them. Now, I get it. And I stop, every time, and pray. It's so fulfilling isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Amen, keeping you in my prayers sweet friend. This is Denise from shortybearsplace.

Under Her Wings said...

"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." (James 1:2-3) As I grow older and the Lord has seen fit to lay more trials on me, He is teaching--wish I could say "has taught"--me that our joy does not come through the easy life, but through trusting Him in the trials of life. Great post, Judy.

Deborah said...

Amen...thank you for a wonderful post my friend and for all of your prayers.

J_on_tour said...

As I was reading this, I had Romans 5 v 3 in my head and the thought that we should be thankful for what we have been given.
It's wonderful to know that we can pray about others and our difficulties (no matter how small they seem to others !! ) and our Heavenly Father is interested in every small detail of our lives.

Mama Hen said...

Oh it is so true. It can be easy to get caught up in "ourselves" and things that bring us down at times. It is so important to remember that God is always with us and that life is not always an easy journey. We should pray for the people who are going through so much. This was a wonderful post! Have a great day!

Mama Hen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails