Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Favorite Ear Worm



This is a new (at least new to me) version of Amazing Grace which we have recently begun singing at our church. I hope you'll listen to the entire song, for although much of it may be familiar to you, there is a change in lyrics from the version I knew growing up.

Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures


My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing grace

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine
You are forever mine




For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. -Romans 8:2, NASB

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! - Romans 5:6-10, NIV

As a daughter of Adam, who entered the world as a sinner, this is wonderful news to me! There's nothing like knowing that your sins are forgiven and that the Lord of the Universe loves you!


Amazing Grace!




Photobucket

16 comments:

Parsley said...

I know this song and love it too.

Joyce said...

Normally I don't like my hymns messed with : ) but this version is a favorite of mine. I think the additional lyrics make a beautiiful song even better. This version was used in the film Amazing Grace which I think came out in 2006. It told the story of William Wilberforce, an Englishman who fought to abolish slavery in the UK.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

One of my favorites!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have a fondness for the original version but this is lovely and heartfelt as well. This is my firat visit to your blog, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a wonderful spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Candace said...

Perfect for this morning! Love this version. Thanks so much for sharing it.

PinayinTexas said...

I love Amazing Grace...I find it so comforting! This is a beautiful version!

Debra Hawkins said...

This was beautiful. We had a family friend pass away yesterday and this was a beautiful comfort.

Unknown said...

I'm excited for you to try the pumpkin mousse ~ you'll love it! And I'm super glad you came by my site so I could come and visit yours!!! I love this version of Amazing Grace too!!! Your site is super inspirational!!! I'm your newst follower!!! I'd love you to "follow" me on your next visit!!!

Aimee @ ItsOverflowing

Carla from The River said...

Wonderful!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I love when hymns get stuck in my head! Makes the day go better! This one is lovely.

laurie said...

Thats beautiful.

Judy S. said...

Our choir director introduced this to us and the congregation a couple of years ago. At the time he mentioned that the tune for Amazing Grace came from something the slaves sang while rowing the big ships. Maybe that was in the movie, I don't know. There's a book by Phillipa Gregory called, The Respectable Trade, that's very interesting. And now, I've caught your earworm. LOL

Natalie said...

beautiful! thank you for sharing!

Under Her Wings said...

"And like a flood His mercy reigns..." It just keeps flowing and flowing to those whom He calls His own, withholding from us what we so rightly deserve. How grateful I am! I love this rendition of Amazing Grace. Thanks for sharing the beautiful video, Judy.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Judy-this rendition of Amazing Grace is beautiful. Love it.

And I keep learning more about Jesus saving us by his life as well as his death. His whole life was lived the way my life should be lived...it's not just the cross that redeems us, but his entire life!

And then he exchanged my sin for his righteousness. (2 Cor. 5:21). He not only took the sin-he replaced it with his own righteousness (because I can add none of my own!) Truly~ amazing grace!

Blows me away-

J_on_tour said...

This was the last song that we played and sang in church this morning and even though it wasn't played in this style, it is good to have material to sing these days with great fundamental truths in it. In this last 10 days I have been led on a shocking YouTube & internet journey of watered down and even deceptive lyrics and teaching.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails