Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Hodgepodging by Degree and Amish Bowls


Knitting and Tinking and Ripping Again

Starting on another of Lillie's Little Sweaters pattern. I was almost done with the hood when I realized that when I shifted from the front part of the hood to the back, I was off. But just a bit. I kept hoping it would go away, but of course it looks terrible and I'm having to rip out several rows and start again. I've done this twice now. I've also been getting practice on How to Pick Up A Dropped Stitch and UNknitting, also known as Tinking. This is what happens when you don't pick up knitting needles for two years. Let it be a lesson.


Join Joyce and the Gang
at From This Side of the Pond.
She writes the questions,
we write the answers.
Check it out!


1. When did you last have to interact, either by phone or in person, with someone in a government run agency? On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the experience? (10 being fabulous and 1 being pass the Tylenol)

I think the last time was a phone conversation with someone from the county extension office. I find them very helpful, so probably a 10. On the other hand, I have had the experience of being frustrated by the multi-menu phone call where I never get to talk to a real person, but instead try to converse with a computer. It's horrid and I'd say a -8. That's the phone. In person, I find that these days the hospital becomes an extension of the government with all the paperwork they now have to fill out regarding healthcare. It's becoming a burden too great to bear and I'm afraid will put out of business some of the good hospitals (and doctors) we've had in this country for so long.

2. The current governor of Wisconsin is considering a run for President next time around. Walker attended Marquette University, but never graduated. In terms of any candidate running for the office of President (not asking here if you agree or disagree with Scott Walker's politics) would the lack of a college degree influence your vote or no? Would that be a factor in your support of any candidate running for public office, even a role less weighty than President?

I've known brilliant people who didn't get a college degree and stupid people who did. A college degree isn't the best indicator of intelligence. In some cases, a college degree is little more than a record of attendance. Intelligence is evidenced by an inquisitive mind, a teachable spirit, determination, and perseverance. I've heard of Rhodes Scholars who spent time trying not to inhale and graduates of Columbia University and Harvard Law School who managed to become President and spend as much time as possible on the golf course while ignoring the greater issues going on in the world, and getting in as much vacation time as possible at taxpayer expense. So, I think it's obvious that a college degree is no guarantee of an effective presidency or any public office. Or should I say at least effective in the direction that most Americans would want from their leader. Maybe as voters, we should base our decision on actual experience in leadership and qualifications in the real world, rather than a piece of paper that means little, except for club membership.

3. When did you last visit a place or site named for George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, and what was that place or site?

The Lincoln Oasis on I-80.

4. February 16th was President's Day in the US, but did you know it was also National Almond Day? I didn't think so : ) Do you like almonds? If so, what's a food/dish/recipe you enjoy that contains almonds? 

No, I did not know that, but I should be celebrating, for I love almonds and eat them almost every day. I'm sure that at least 10 pounds of my weight is due to almond consumption.  I like KIND bars that have almonds in them and love a chicken or pork stirfry with almonds sprinkled on top.

 Pork, Apple, Almond Stirfry



 Okay, I think this chicken stirfry actually has basil pesto on it,
but just imagine it with almonds. I make it that way a lot too.

5.The television program Saturday Night Live celebrated it's 40th anniversary this past weekend. Were/are you a fan of the show? If so what has been your favorite (or one of your favorite) skits, sayings, or characters that came out of the program?

I've never been a big fan of SNL, but I did watch a few episodes back when it used to be funny. That would have been about 40 years ago.

6. Anything purple within ten feet of you? What is it?

The only purple thing I see within 20 or maybe even 50 feet of where I'm sitting is a watercolor pen.

7. Back in December I asked you to submit a question for a future HP as part of a giveaway I was hosting. I grabbed this one from those entries, submitted by Zoanna who blogs over at Penchant for Pens. Thanks Zoanna!

She asks, "How often do you make your bed, and how do you like to make it-pull the covers all the way up over the pillows, tuck the covers in around the pillows, or place all the pillows on top of the covers?" 

Wow, this is a bit invasive, isn't it??  When I'm in the mood, I'll make the bed with everything nice and straight and pillows on top with more pillows on top of those. Otherwise, in a rush, it's pull up the covers, and mostly so that the cat has a nice place to lie during the day. You'll notice that I never put up photos of our bedroom. There is a reason (besides the fact that it's a bedroom, which should be reason enough.)

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I told Mr. C.'s cousin, who is a good friend of the Amish in the Westby area, that I would put his ad for the Amish-made bowls on my sidebar. The bowls are beautiful. I have two others, one a small nut or candy bowl and one large lazy Susan bowl. The craftsmanship is amazing.




Workshop

I can't remember if I took this at Raymond's or Daniel's




***


Check out my natural, handcrafted, vegan soap
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

English Rose
Lady Mary

Downton Abbey-Inspired

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



Although I usually forget to do it, there is a chance that this post will be linked to one or more of these great linky parties:  Amaze Me Monday and Inspiration Monday and Mosaic Monday and The Barn Collective and    Treasure Box Tuesday and Vintage Bliss Tuesday and KatheWithAnE and Rubbish Tuesday and Our World Tuesday and Tuesdays at our Home and Tuesday with a Twist and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and Vintage Inspiration Wednesday and Ivy and Elephants Wednesday and Adorned From Above  and Artsy Corner Thursday and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and Good Fences on Thursdays and  Time Travel Thursday and Freedom Fridays and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Simple Saturdays Blog Hop and Saturday's Critters

50 comments:

Joyce said...

My daughter's mother-in-law makes beautiful wooden bowls. I have one on my kitchen table and it's gorgeous. That stir fry with the apples looks yummy-what do you put in it for seasoning? Is it just pork, celery, apples?

Michelle said...

Those bowls are so beautiful.

NanaDiana said...

I always love these posts of yours, Judy, and always make sure I have time to read the whole thing when I click your blog open.
You are so right about the degree. I have known idiots with a PHD and geniuses without any formalized education.

Enjoy your day- I assume you are as cold there as we are here....below zero right now...ugh xo Diana

NanaDiana said...

ps. Those wooden bowls are works of art!

Tanna said...

Oh, Judy, your answers to 2 and 4 could have been my very own words. LOL!

I'm feeling your pain on the tinking... I got off four rows back on a lace pattern... the tinking will commence later today. Arghhh...

The bowls are just beautiful! Thank you for sharing. blessings ~ tanna

Michelle said...

Judy, my sister introduced me to the KIND bars. They are awesome. If any of you readers haven't tried them, you can find them in your local grocery's health food isle.

I do agree with you on #2.

Those bowls look great!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Sorry to hear about the knitting. It's always frustrating when you have to rip out stitches. I hope you get on the right track. I love those bowls! Good luck with the knitting!
Julie xo

eileeninmd said...

I agree with your #2 answer.. I know of one person who has a CPA/Accountant degree and a Law degree and has absolutely no common sense.. He was even fired from a job.. The bowls are so pretty.. Have a happy day!

Linda Kay said...

Judy, thanks for the plug for the Amish bowls, as I also find them to be very beautiful as well as useful. I love the one for the yarn ball at the top of your post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us this morning.

Arlene G said...

Isn't it frustrating to have to take something a part and start over!! I have to do that with my cross stitch sometimes but I know I will not be happy with the project if I do not! And I wish I could knit something besides scarves.lol As usual I enjoyed the Hodgepodge. Those bowls are beautiful!!

MadSnapper said...

i love that bowl with the knitting in it. just showed the pics to my hubby, he is from PA and was raised in Amish country... he did not know there are Amish in WI... the bowls are fantastic. no purple in my house at all. I make my bed when i stand up. an unmade bed drives me crazy. when i lived at home my mother never made her bed, neither did my brother, even as a child, i made mine when i got up..

Cheryl said...

Those bowls are amazing!!

I agree with your answer on #2. A college degree and intelligence are not synonymous! To go even further, we always taught our children that they should go to college if it was helpful/needful for the life path that they chose. Why spend a gazillion dollars (and go into mega-debt) if it isn't necessary to achieve your goals?

And those automated phone services in which you never get to a real person? Totally frustrating!

Your stir fry with pesto looks delicious, almonds or no.

podso said...

I always enjoy the wide range of hodgepodge questions. Amazing the paths her questions take. I learned another new word from your blog, tinkling. I'm off to our yarn ministry at church and I'll see if anyone knows that word. I should be familiar with it for all the tinking I do. The bowls are beautiful.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I know exactly where the picture of the Amish is taken...that is County Road P! On the way to my grandfather's farm! :) I love that road!

We really must get together when you come down this way again! Borgen's for Pie and Ice Cream???

Enjoy your day Judy!

TexWisGirl said...

the bowls are beautiful, indeed!

Mary said...

Those bowls are gorgeous! I really like the container that you have the yarn in. It would be a perfect gift! Did the same person make that as well?

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, those bowls are beautiful, how great they are. Blessings Francine.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I enjoy reading your hodge podge posts and realize it's geared to Americans today.
The bowls are unique and I hope some sales are made from you showing them.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Beautiful bowls! I agree with number 2. There have been lots of examples in the news these past few days. I loved Chris Farley, David Spade, Dana Carvey. SNL has not be funny in years. I think some of the funniest shows were made before I was born. Carol Burnette, Dick Van Dyke...Andy Griffith

Alex said...

Good answers as usual, Judy.
The lesson about knitting is duly absorbed.
I haven't knitted in more than 4 years, though.
Hope you get to finish your project.

They used almonds a lot in medieval England. Just sayin'
Happy Wednesday!
x

April said...

What gorgeous bowls! My paternal great-grandparents were Amish...would love to get my hands on one!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

You were spot on with #2 answer. The bowls are gorgeous!

21 Wits said...

That's got to be the best yarn bowl holder ever!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Great answer for #2! Those bowls are so beautiful.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Loved reading your answers and the shot of the buggy. I am on a train and the only purple I can see is the background of a sign!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Always fun to read your post. The bowls are beautiful. Good luck with the knitting. :-)
Carla

Ginny Hartzler said...

Those bowls are beautiful! From a distance, they almost look like fancy baskets.

Nancy said...

I love your yarn bowl and all the others you showed. they are gorgeous!

Rose said...

I enjoyed your post...you were spot on with #2...., #3...I am in Illinois quite often and it is called The Land of Lincoln...did not know it was Almond day...

I used to like SNL...at least parts of every show...but of late they have so much stuff that is vulgar to me that we start to watch and then quickly turn to something else. But I did love when Amy Pohler and Seth Myers did the news, and Kristin Wigg's Target lady spots...

I almost laughed out loud at you saying you made the bed to give the cats a nice spot to lay...that is what my husband does since he always gets up later than me.

Theresa said...

What beautiful bowls. Well said on your answer about politicians and college degrees. Your pork stir fry looks really good.

Love Bears All Things said...

Thanks for stopping by Bears at Home....Although I can't remember where I read that about almonds and calories, I eat a bowl of tropical trail mix everyday with a handful of almonds and sometimes I'll just have more almonds by themselves. I lost 20 pounds between August and January and so far the trail mix and almonds haven't made a difference in my weight....Its a treat I give myself instead of more fattening foods.
Mama Bear

Terri D said...

Your answer to #2 is brilliant.

I will go to the website for those beautiful wooden bowls. Gorgeous.

As always, I love your photos! It was a very fun Hodgepodge (again!).

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Beautiful Amish bowls - love the yarn holder bowl. I almost bought a ceramic one recently, but passed it by. Wish I didn't......Love your answer about the college education. Hope your knitting works out - love the color. xo Karen

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

I agree with your number two!
Pretty bowls!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Those bowls are really beautiful! Hope you are staying warm today! I know it's cold where you live...and most of the country today. Sweet hugs, Diane

September Violets said...

Those are beautiful wooden bowls. I love wooden bowls and have a few myself. Those and pottery. I hear you with the knitting ... if I leave it for a few too many months, I find I have to relearn a whole lot all over again. I like that unknitting is called tinking, it sounds productive somehow :)
Wendy

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with your answers and thoughts for #1 and #2.
Such beautiful bowls!

Anonymous said...

I definitely agree with your answers and thoughts for #1 and #2.
Such beautiful bowls!

Zoanna said...

The bowls are beautiful and so are the foods you pictured . The chicken stir fry is making me hungry!

I didn't intend for the bedmaking question to seem "invasive." Rather a housekeeping chore question. To me it's no more invasive than "how often do you load your dishwasher and how do you prefer to load it?" which is a question we've HP'ed about before.

Nel said...

I am so glad you stopped by! Enjoyed your answers to Hodgepodge. That stir fry looks wonderful. I love the bowls, what talent! I am your newest follower, I will be back!

Happy@Home said...

It was fun to read your answers to the HodgePodge. I'm intrigued by that pork and apple stir fry. I would have never thought to put apples in a stir fry, but it sure looks good.
The bowls are beautiful. I especially like the one with your yarn in in. How clever.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Those bowls are gorgeous. Was the one holding the yarn made for that purpose? That yarn looks like THE perfect color for you!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

almonds ... i love them. i love the bowl. what amazing work. we always try to visit the Amish when close to their homes. we got syrup once. ( :

Feral Turtle said...

Haha Loved reading number two!! Very good and so true. Gorgeous bowls!

Anonymous said...

Those bowls are gorgeous.

Rachel said...

I love those bowls!! Your pictures are always so great! I only like almonds if they are covered in chocolate. Lol! I hope you are doing well and staying warm!

:)

Anonymous said...

The bowls are truly a work of art. :-) Interesting questions and answers. The only thing I'd add about a college degree is that it does take perseverance to start and finish and I think that I'd question if someone couldn't stick to that program.

Hootin Anni said...

I too love almonds!! Right now, I'm on the 'kick' of consuming way too much on one with almonds. Nature Valley's almond cream granola bars. LOADED with almonds.

Love the Amish bowls.

And, don't you just hate it when you have to rip our your work? I know I do.

Deborah Montgomery said...

Those stir fry dinners look delicious! I'm not really much of a knitter, but I've heard it called "frogging" -- you know, rip it, rip it"! I've had to do a bit of that.

Donna said...

Loved your answer about the college degree. People have really shallow thinking if they believe that a degree is any kind of indicator of intelligence or management ability.

The Amish bowls are sure pretty too. But the last thing I need is another what-not or doodad around here. I already have too much stuff.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails