Monday, November 23, 2015

Farm Scenes, Late November, Old Dogs New Tricks


Top:  Jazzie, frosty field
Middle: Harvesting corn, barn at sunset
Front porch at night, porch rail and fence in morning light
(and SNOW...it's only a matter of time...)

I'm telling a tale of Jazzie, because I was very impressed with her yesterday. Here's the story:  She was lying on the window seat, her favorite place to keep an eye on wildlife, including deer, bunnies, UPS, FED EX, USPS, the dumpster man, employees, and Mr. C. coming home. She started barking, just a couple sharp barks, but as I was trying to see what she was barking at, a big deer caught my eye. He was running south, across Neighbor Bill's Triangle and disappeared behind the spruce trees.

 Just off the right edge of the photo is the stand of spruce trees
(photo taken mid October)

 And to the right of the barn is where she was expecting 
to see the deer next


I was amazed when Jazzie suddenly jerked her head to the right, watching for the deer to come out from behind the barn, which it would do, if it continued its track. I knew she was smart, but didn't realize that she had that kind of logic capability. This morning, she showed me again:  She was out in the back yard, near the barn. I was standing out on the front porch, walked to the end to get the photo of the frosty fields (above in collage), and said, 'Hi Jazzie.' Well, she couldn't get to me directly, but she knew enough to go to the back door and pound on it (yes, she does) so that Mr. C. would let her in. She made a beeline to the front door, because she knew that's how I get onto the porch - from the front door. Smart little dog! ('Little' is relative, I realize.)



Anyway, you're all probably thinking, 'yeah, so my dog does that too.' I just didn't know she could THINK like that. Mr. C. then asked me if I thought that she ever thinks about her former life. I told him that I was pretty sure she didn't think about the previous five minutes. But oh well. She really did impress me. That's one smart little grandpuppy!  If she lived in northern England, she would probably have the fun and interesting job of herding sheep. Here, she only has bunnies to occasionally chase, catch, and devour. Poor dog. I'd love to have a flock of sheep (like maybe 8), but you-know-who isn't budging.

Just look at that photo of her in the collage. Don't you think she needs a flock of sheep??

So now I'm going to give you equal time to tell me what smart thing your dog did, because I know they're all remarkable animals. Feel free to brag.  I mean it. You'll notice that I did.  :-)


Wouldn't Jazzie have fun!


Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soaps
Christmas is coming!

All of our soaps make great hostess gifts
and stocking stuffers!

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

HomemadeSoapnSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop

***

This post is linked to

Mosaic Monday
and
Amaze Me Monday
and
GOOD FENCES
and
Saturday's Critters




Have a great Monday, everyone!

 
Photobucket

32 comments:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

It's amazing how smart dogs are. Great pics. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Give Jazzie an extra piece of turkey for being so darn smart!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, great story about your smart doggies Jazzie. She is pretty too. I love the sheep.
Happy Monday, enjoy your new week! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

TexWisGirl said...

i love your sweet old pup. yes, they are quite smart. :)

MadSnapper said...

sorry, but this box is not big enough to type all the words that prove how smart Jake is. BOL BOL BOL.... it is amazing how smart they are and Bob and I watch Jake and say tell that to the people who say dogs don't THINK... they do think, but i don't think they think about the past things that happen...but they do remember people who only came a few times in the past and show up again... your view is just beyond spectacular, all of them...

Cathy said...

Jazzie is so beautiful and so are all the pictures on your post. I love reading and looking at your blog. Gorgeous!

We're on vacation right now, and that is the one thing I am missing most. My little Lucy!! While I'm not ready for the trip to end, I am so ready to see her.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Susie said...

Judy, It seems some dogs are just smart. I think my daughter's dog Sam...would be saying"Aw shucks" if he could talk. Just a big old clumsy goofy loveable dog. LOL. I like seeing all your photos. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Linda Kay said...

Judy, I do think some skills are imprinted on dogs. Your dog is a herder. My dog is a Yorkie and they were trained to sniff out rats and moles. So Polly is constantly sniffing the ground. My neighbor says she is reading the pee-mails.

Donna said...

Jazzie is a special dog and she would have fun with those sheep!

Denise said...

love the pictures. Jazzie is smart, and very cute.

Terri D said...

Well, I agree that your dog is very smart. I haven't had a dog since the early 1980s. Sarge was a big collie with a bad back leg. He couldn't get around very well, and didn't have a very interesting life with two people who worked all day. That's why I don't have a dog today. It's a lonely life if people are never at home. Cats work for us, and they are quite cunning. Love your photos!!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Jazzie is one smart cookie! We don't have a dog right now but we were talking at dinner about my son's dog Henry. He was the smartest, sweetest dog I've ever known. Henry is no longer here, but we sure think of him. I do think you need a drove, flock or herd of sheep or maybe a large group (a band or mob)of sheep. I vote for the black faced beauties! ♥

L. D. said...

Your dog is a smart one. Our border collie never ceases to amaze me as to how he tells me things. Your dog is such a handsome guy and don't we really love them. I like the flock of sheep. When we got our dog we didn't know he was a border collie because he was cream color, yellow. I sent a photo to a web site and they said we need to buy some sheep. Fun blog or should I say fun story.

Stephanie said...

Glorious photos, Judy. And speaking of pictures...I love your profile picture with the cat - too cute! :)

I hope you and yours have a beautiful and blessed Thanksgiving. Hugs!

Debby Ray said...

Yes, Jazzie most definitely needs a flock of sheep...eight to be precise :) Lovely, lovely photos and mosaics too. Have a great week and a blessed Thanksgiving, Judy :)

Anonymous said...

Fun to hear about Jazzie! So sweet!
Our mini dachshund would chase squirrels up trees but because she was so short, she would lose sight of them after about 2 feet up! lol

Empty Nester said...

Oh, goodness, EVERYTHING Tucker does is smart. LOL I saw a video today about dogs loving winter and thought of y'all! I can't find a link but you can go to America's Funniest Home Videos Facebook page and it's on there. It's doggies enjoying winter. :)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I had not thought about a pet doing problem solving but then you have a very smart breed Judy and I vote for some sheep for her to herd around.
Topaz our cockapoo can recognize his toys by name and bring me the one I ask for - ta dah! (that's my brag)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That really is quite a story and you do have bragging rights! Enjoy your week sweet friend. Happy Thanksgiving blessings, Diane

Rose said...

Oh, I know they think! There is not doubt in my mind. Our girls each had a mutt...one was part collie/supposed to be part German Shepherd...I could see the collie, but don't know the other part.

The other was I don't know what. She was tan in color and had a tail that curled like some type of husky. Well, she would want our individual attention without the other dog butting in. If she was inside she would got to door and yip like she had to have outside to see what was out there. She would get the other dog all hyped up and she would run out ahead, and then Keesha would just step back and wait for some individual attention.

And if we were outside, she would go to the door and give that little bark, then when we went to let her in, she would let the other run in and she would just step back and stay outside with us.

Lynne said...

Smart dog indeed . . . so keen and observant!
Our Snickers tells time . . .
Certain events in her day are based on time, like
lunch, games at night, her walks, . . .
No matter where her favorite ball is in the house, we tell her to find it, she does!
Of course, we think she is brilliant . . .

Pamela Gordon said...

Yes, dogs are indeed very smart. For the most part. I know one that isn't quite that bright!! Anyhoo, our old Marshall would knock on the door when he wanted in too. Our wood screen door is all scratched from him doing it for 10 years. He has lived at our sons for the past 4 and 1/2 years and we've never fixed the door!! It will be replaced in the spring though. Marshall could do lots of tricks that dogs do and he could also 'talk'. He was so much fun when he was young and now he's old and blind and deaf. :( Your photos are beautiful and yes, Jazzie should have a few sheep to herd. He looks like he'd do a good job at it. We got our first snow today. :) Just enough to cover the grass. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

NanaDiana said...

That is one smart dog. It really is amazing how much their instinct kicks in at times...they are hunters, after all, and I am sure that is part of their inner being-to "know" where the prey will go/be.

Great pictures, Judy- as they always are. Hope you had a great day- xo Diana

podso said...

You have a very intelligent dog. Ours was too, but "was" is the key word, and at the moment I can't remember how we knew about her IQ!

Vee said...

Yes, she needs at least eight sheep. She would frustrate a smaller herd. =D Does she herd grandchildren? Pets are very smart...even cats. There isn't aa one of mine who has not outsmarted me. Ha! Happy Thanksgiving!

genie said...

Your mosaics are so pretty. I love the selections in each. Each picture has its own little story to tell. What mosaic maker do you use.The one I used for years went away for good, so I have not known where to go. Do you have a suggestion? Your Jazzie is one special pal. She is amazing. I wish our Jack had just a few of her brains.

This N That said...

I would love to be able to evaluate my dogs vocabulary..She understands everything and is very intuitive..That doesn't mean that she listens..I know she doesn't!! HAppy Thanksgiving

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Our pup does a few things that always amaze me. She likes to watch birds and airplanes flying overhead, which I wouldn't think would interest her. And she likes to smell the flowers. At first we thought she was smelling bunnies or mice in the flower beds, but now we have pots and bunnies can't get that high, so she must be smelling the flowers!

Arlene G said...

I do not have a dog but I am impressed with Jazzie!!

emily barlocker scott said...

Can I just move in with you?

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

OH goodness I loved this Judy! Gave me the sweetest giggle. Jazzie is such a beautiful dog and I love that you tooted her horn! She deserved it smart Girl. I could just see her herding sheep. Wouldn't that make a pretty picture?

I'll brag that Ruby knows English (I swear she does!) Lol She sits well, shakes a paw, and gives hugs! Plus she potty trained as a puppy in ONE day! There's my bragging for the day. ;) Thanks that was fun.
Blessings. xoxo

Michelle said...

That's one smart dog!

I'm featuring a giveaway on my blog..

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Those sheep, I would love seeing those sheep ever day, just so sweet. I hope that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving Day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails