Saturday, October 30, 2010

Paul Bunyan Carrots


It's a little late in the season, isn't it, but we just dug our potatoes and carrots today. We've had rain for several days, it seems, but today it's bright and sunny and the perfect day to get that job done. Also, a good idea to get them out of the ground before they're covered in a foot of snow.

My husband dug with the fork to loosen the soil and I pulled them out by the tops. We just laughed at how huge they are. I just realized that I should have placed some well-recognized object next to the carrots so you could get some perspective as to the size of these monsters.

I think the carrot on the left is about 10 inches long and 2 1/2 inches around at the top. The carrots in the photo above could feed a family of four for a week!

Right now, the remaining carrots are lying out on the garden carpet so the sun can burn the little carrot eyes so they don't start to grow roots after we've got them stored in sand. After last year's hairy carrots, I decided I should read up on what to do before storing them in sand.

The carrots pictured above are the variety Danver's Half-Long. My husband commented, 'Wow, can you imagine what the full-length ones are like??!  :-)

I think that's the last of the gardening for this year. Now we just hunker down and wait for the Big Snow.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are big'uns! I used to love to dig potatoes with my niece and nephews. Their eyes would get sooooo big when Dad would tilt the fork up and bring to the surface all those big taters. Thanks for the happy memory!

p.s. If you ground has been hard like ours, it makes you stop and think how big the carrots could have been if they ad been able to have a bit more wiggle room down there!

Judy S. said...

I see lots of carrot cakes in your future.....LOL

Denise said...

Wow, those are huge doc, lol bugs bunny would be in carrot heaven.

Life Happens said...

Those are huge, but cute too!! Wowza!

Mama Hen said...

Those carrots look delicious! I love potatoes and carrots! Little Chick loves them mashed together with a little butter and milk. They probably taste great! I hope you have a fun Sunday!

Mama Hen

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy!

My mouth is watering. I love veggies fresh out of the garden. Those carrots look wonderful. I expect to be seeing lots of carrot recipes on your blog now!

Once when I was sick my husband made dinner and boiled the carrots in orange juice like a TV advertisement he saw. We were all too kind to say anything to him, but let me tell you - DON'T!!!

Glad you're ready for winter now and can relax a bit before the holiday rush.

partialemptynester said...

OMGoodness, I thought they looked mighty big, but I thought it was just the perspective of the picture...I can't imagine carrots that big! WOW!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails