Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pumpkins

Autumn is definitely my time of year. I love everything about it - the drier days; the crisp, cool air; the crunch of leaves under my feet; the harvest. The downside is the fact that it ushers in winter. But I try not to think of that when I'm gathering the last vegetables from the garden, covering flowers at night to protect them from the early lighter frosts, and enjoying the beautiful colors of the season!

The photo above represents our total pumpkin crop. I really have no reason to raise pumpkins, except that any year I don't, I later wish I had. This year's pumpkins are a beautiful color, and their sole purpose is to look cute sitting on the picnic table. I think they're doing a superb job! They're not pie pumpkins, so I don't need to feel guilty about not freezing them for later use. Besides, I have no freezer space remaining.

Happy autumn! I'll be posting many more photos as our Wisconsin woods give us the stunning colors for which they are famous!

Praise God for the marvelous diversity of Creation. How cute are those pumpkins! :-) Dear Lord, help me to simply appreciate them and stand in awe of your creative power and NOT get attached to them or assign human emotion to them as they freeze and get squishy and die.



Psalm 118:24  'This is the day which the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.'

9 comments:

Aleksandra Nearing said...

Very nice! I've organized a pumpkin patch play date 2 weekends from now. Happy Sunday!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

My pumpkins didn't survive this year I'm sad to say! your are doing a fantastic job of making the picnic table look cute :)

Judy S. said...

Nice pumpkins! Ours never would turn orange here, so we gave up and just enjoy other people's.

Denise said...

Awesome my friend.

Yenta Mary said...

Those pumpkins are truly picture perfect! They are, indeed, doing their decorative job very, very well ... :)

Unknown said...

Love Pumpkins!

partialemptynester said...

They do look mighty proud just sitting there...like they just know they've been created for the soul purpose of putting a smile on one's face! Thanks for sharing :)))

Mhel said...

I have to agree with Mary! Your pumpkins are so picture perfect! Plump, bright, colorful, and big!! I'll be expecting some great pumpkin recipes, lol.... Happy harvesting!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I love fall, too! Beautiful pumpkins! :) I have some fake ones I put out every year, but I can't seem to find them. Need to go look again....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails