Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Italian Plum Pie

One of the guests at our Italian dinner party pot luck (that's a mouthful!) brought this delicious Italian Plum Pie, made from her grandma's recipe. Doesn't it look amazing? Well, it was, so I asked her if she would share the recipe with me so that I could pass it on to you.

In an unbaked 9-inch pie crust*, layer 12 or so Italian prune plums, washed, pitted, and quartered. She said to make sure to use the Italian prune plums, for other plums are too juicy to work well in this recipe.

Mix in large bowl :
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 T. flour
3 dashes of nutmeg (a dash is a very subjective thing, but I'd put in maybe 1/8 - 1/4 t.)

Spread the mixture over the plums and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 50-60 minutes, until filling is golden brown.

*She did not pass on the crust recipe, so I will give you the one that my own mother gave me:

For a single-crust pie (8, 9, or 10 inch)
1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. shortening
6 T. cold water

Combine the flour, salt, and shortening. Work either with a pastry blender or your fingers until VERY fine. Then sprinkle on the water, a bit at a time as you continue to mix. Do not over-mix this dough. My mom always told me that over-mixing is what causes a crust to become tough. 

With your hands, form dough into a ball, then flatten out on a floured counter. Roll with a cloth-covered and lightly floured rolling pin until the dough is in a nice disk shape that's about 1/8 inch thick. The trick with pie crust is to lift it up after each time you roll it and lightly re-dust the counter top with flour.

You can use the excess to form strips, sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar, and bake in the oven until just starting to turn golden around the edges. The kids will love these! Mine always did. :-)

Check out my 5-Bar Handcrafted Soap'n'Such Giveaway. Ends Friday night, Nov. 18, 2011.

This post is linked to: Making the World Cuter Mondays and Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and Making Monday Marvelous and Made from Scratch Tuesday and Made by You Mondays and Delectable Tuesday and Anything Related Tuesday and Take a Look Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday  and Tasty Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday and  Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays  and Two Maids a Baking and  What's Cookin' Wednesday and Cast Party Wednesday and  It's a Party at Creative Princess and Lisa's Gluten-Free Blog and I'm Lovin' it Friday

16 comments:

Denise said...

Yummy, thanks for sharing.

Emma's Lunch said...

wow that looks delicious! I'm following you from the Tuesday Tag Along.

Please stop by when you get a chance
http://emmaslunch.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I've never been a big fan of plums, but this pie makes me want to change that!!! It looks wonderful!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I love those plums! Can't wait to make, thanks.

Yenta Mary said...

Ever since I saw your post about the dinner, I've been craving the plum tart. Perhaps this is my Sunday morning adventure for the coming weekend ...?

Linda... said...

wow; that sounds yummy! I love browsing around your blog. In reply to your comment to me re: Thanksgiving - After dinner some of might stay and play some board games and/or watch tv; others will go home with their brothers or sisters or to their parents homes with the grandkids and then "do their own thing" whatever that may be. have a wonderful day.
http://Lindalovesblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am the one who made the pie, and I have a few suggestions. Arranging the plums in a circular pattern in two layers is what I did, and it works much better when you put them the 'long way' as in having the ends of the cut plums 'pointing to' the middle and outside of the pie. Also, a large spoon and normal pie server work best for serving it. :)

Under Her Wings said...

Come on down to Arkansas and enjoy one of our many B&Bs, some with some lovely mountaintops. Eureka Springs even has a "Tree Top" cottage.

Cranberry Morning said...

Thank you for those additional instructions. It really was a delicious pie, my first taste of Italian plum pie. Now we're all going to be out looking for Italian prune plums! :-)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

That looks awesome. Can you send me a slice???

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Pam said...

How come everytime I come to your blog I leave hungry? :) If only you lived closer to me, I would come to visit around dinner time!

Teresa said...

That looks soooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to give it a try.

I also like the idea of an Italian potluck party. I have a party list running thru my head. Thanks for the great idea!

(This is Cassiopeia, under my real name)

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Since you want a piece of mud pie, I'll trade you for a piece of this. :) YUM!

Lisa said...

This pie sounds delicious with all those lovely plums in it.

partialemptynester said...

Mmm, delish!!!!

Kristen said...

Yum! Thanks for linking this to This Week's Cravings!

Kristen - www.frommytinykitchen.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails