Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuscan Chicken Stew - Gluten Free

If you saw yesterday's blog post about our Italian Dinner, you know that I promised to post this recipe for Tuscan Chicken Stew. I really liked it, and will definitely make this recipe again.


Because we had such a great pepper crop this year (Carmen Italian sweet pepper), I used fresh peppers, rather than using store-bought roasted peppers from a jar. So, I washed and seeded six Carmen peppers, cut each into four large hunks, placed them in a large Ziploc baggie and poured in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. I shook the bag to thoroughly coat the peppers with olive oil, then spread them out onto a heavy cookie sheet and roasted them for 45 minutes in a 325 degree oven. If you use fresh peppers, like I did, just check them with a fork to make sure they're tender before taking them from the oven.




Now, on to the Gluten-Free recipe:

1 1/2 t. dried rosemary, crushed
1 1/2 t. salt
3/4 t. black pepper
3 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes. (I used 5 large chicken breast halves)
1/8 c. olive oil
3-4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 c. chicken broth (I use only Kitchen Basics, because it's gluten-free)
4 -  15 oz. cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
3 -  7 oz. jars of roasted red bell peppers, drained and cut into largish hunks
OR 6 large fresh Carmen or Red Bell peppers (roasted as above)
10 cups of washed baby spinach (I used 1 1/2  bags of baby spinach)
1 can medium, pitted black olives, drained (Sorry, I couldn't resist. The colors were beautiful, but they just needed that little accent of black.)

Mix, then saute in olive oil:  chicken, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic until chicken is done.

Add chicken broth, beans, and peppers. Simmer.
Just before serving, stir in the olives and spinach.  Stir until spinach is wilted. Serve immediately.

Serves approximately 10 people.

Don't miss next Tuesday's post when I will share Heidi's grandma's recipe for that great Italian Plum Pie!

P.S. Be sure to scroll down and see the post I published early this morning! I don't usually do two in one day, but this was a set of pics re. the college tour that I wanted to publish. :-)


This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday



14 comments:

Michelle said...

I love stews and soups especially this time of year. This looks like it will become a new family favorite over here!

Unknown said...

mmmmmm...this looks fantastic! I love roasting my own peppers...true the canned ones work and are so easy...but there is something satisfying about doing it yourself!

partialemptynester said...

MmmMmm, rosemary, spinach, garlic with chicken in anything? I'm all over that! I keep Kitchen Basics around for everything, love it!

What a great recipe, I'll be using this one as it gets chillier toward the end of the month :)

Yenta Mary said...

That is an absolutely perfect Fall/Winter meal! Good bread, salad, and dinner is served ... :)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

That looks perfect! Absolutely perfect.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Unknown said...

The weatherman says it's going to get back to normal weather around here starting tomorrow. That means good-bye 80's hello 60's with lows down in the 30's. I'm kind of looking forward to it, except for the *&^$%# mouse I saw scurrying behind my TV this morning! UGH! I am fine with mouse outside, but I strongly DISLIKE them in my house! Grrrr!

Unknown said...

DUH! I forgot to tell you on my post that with the cooler weather coming, your stew looks like something I should start gathering up ingredients to make! :-)

Debra Hawkins said...

Oh my yum that looks delicious. I wish it would start to get cooler here so we would be in the mood for some stew!

Cranberry Morning said...

Yeah, nobody told me it was going to be summer here in Harper's Ferry, WV!! But it was pretty cool this morning, and I was glad I had long sleeves.

Lana, perhaps I can rent out Lionel. He is an excellent mouser! :-) Tuppence mostly just plays catch with them. Lionel is the industrious one.

Gotta tell ya, that stew really IS good, and a great way to use a bag of baby spinach. :-) That just has to be good for you!

Judy S. said...

Looks very tasty and not even too hard!

Lisa said...

This sounds so wonderfully healthy and hearty. I'm also linked up with Tasty Tuesdays.

Denise said...

Yummy.

Midwest to Midlands said...

Looks great! When I saw the name of your blog I wondered if you were from Wisconsin and I see you are! I have lived in Green Bay many moons ago, but love all of the state.

fresh vending recipes said...

To the delight of the fast food industry, quick food options have become engrained in the mind of the consumer as a choice between convenience and nutrition. For students and employed adults who don't have time to prepare meals, convenience inevitably wins out almost every time.
fresh healthy vending
fresh healthy vending recipes

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails