Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Greek Salad Recipe


I wasn't disappointed in this 'Greek' salad. It was fun to have my own feta cheese to put into it. I didn't have my favorite kalamata olives to use, but used some barely-tolerable canned kalamata olives that are in a water-vinegar solution. I prefer the ones soaked in oil. In fact, the most delicious olives I've ever tasted are black Moroccan olives, which look like they're dried and then soaked in olive oil. They're kind of leathery and salty and moist and delicious! If you're lucky, they might have free samples at Whole Foods.



If kalamata olives in oil or the Moroccan olives had been available at my local grocery, I would have used them, Since they weren't, I had to settle for what I could get. I think you will find this salad very flavorful and filling, but try to track down the better kalamata olives.

Romaine, Feta, & Kalamata Salad

1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
Several plum tomatoes, halved
3 mini cucumbers, washed and cut into chunks
1/2 red onion, chopt
1/4 c. olive oil
3 T. red wine vinegar
1 c. crumbled feta cheese
1/2 c. pitted and sliced Kalamata  or Moroccan olives
Combine first four ingredients in large bowl. Drizzle oil and vinegar over. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Mix in feta cheese and olives. Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

Recipe source: Bon Appetit


Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

This post is linked to

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Greek flavors like this! And yes, all kalamata olives are not created the same!

Unknown said...

YUMMY! The older I get, the more I like olives! ;-)

SomeGirl said...

YUM! That looks SO good!

Empty Nester said...

I should have read this before going to the grocery store this morning. It would be perfect for the college group tonight! I'll just have to try it next Wednesday!

Candace said...

I love Greek salad so much. I know adding your homemade feta made your salad even better. That salad would actually feed two in our household instead of rour. We are "big eaters". :)

Candace said...

rour = four :)

Miriam said...

I LOVE Greek salad!! Yours turned out so beautifully :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Johnnie said...

I can't wait to make this. It has been forever since I have had Greek salad. Thanks, Judy!

Tiffanee said...

Oh yum. Serve me up a large helping.

Yenta Mary said...

I love, love, love Greek salad! Those Moroccan olives would be an inspired addition; and since I won't be ambitious enough to make my own feta any time soon, they would glamourize my salad a bit to compensate for the store-bought cheese ... :)

Nanna said...

this sounds delisious!
Helen

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Those olive would soooo never make it to my salad because I'd eat every last one before they got there...sigh...


Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Rachel said...

I need to share this with my BFF- her husband is Greek and they love Greek food!

:)
Rach

Anonymous said...

Any excuse to eat olives and feta and I am in!! This would be perfect for my Foodie Friday linky party...if you get a sec, pop on over and link up!
Oh, and I found you on All Thingz Related!

Jamie said...

This look delish! I love all types of salads...

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

YUM! This looks absolutely delish!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails