Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sunset



Last night my cellphone notified me that my media box was nearly full. Groan. That means I have to actually clean out some stuff. So I was going through the pictures on my cellphone last night and came across a photo of my dad. I'd forgotten about taking the photo. I think it was taken less than a week before he died.

It brought tears to my eyes, of course, because I miss him so much. But then it brought a smile when I remembered how surprised the nursing home staff and hospice were that Dad so calmly faced death. They told me that most people are afraid and anxious, and wondered if Dad were just hiding his true feelings. No, not my dad. He simply had no fear of death, and had every confidence in his Savior, confidence that he would soon be with his Lord. 'If God be for us, who can be against us?' My dad looked forward to being with Jesus, and knew that his sins were forgiven and forgotten.

It made me think of others in the sunset of their lives. What are their thoughts when they are alone? Is there fear and anxiety at what happens next, or like my dad, is there every confidence in the Savior who loves them and gave His life to give them freedom, peace, and eternal life.

Romans 8:1-4

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you FREE from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, GOD DID by sending  his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Philippians 3:7-9

But whatever were gains to me, I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through FAITH IN CHRIST - the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. 




Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

14 comments:

Kimberley said...

Beautiful post...

Unknown said...

Fourteen years later and I still miss my daddy so much. Thank you for the reminder that he is now living peacefully with Christ.

Michelle said...

What a heartfelt post. Just lovely. I have struggled with anxiousness in the past and still do from time to time. What a great testimony and encouragement when you see others walk in such faith of God's hand and work in their lives.

Unknown said...

Hugs to you! I just came from another blog that features a sunrise. Guess it's kind of poetic; beginnings and endings and all the beauty in between.

Anonymous said...

two beautiful photos with memories attached.. God bless you, Judyx

Anonymous said...

this a beautiful song called 'I watched the sunrise - Close to you' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiiWpYuT6tg&NR=1

Rachel said...

This was beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Karen Harris said...

Lovely post.

Empty Nester said...

What a great picture! My dad is the very same way for the very same reasons!

Robin said...

Fantastic post Judy, and a great picture of your Dad. Wasn't it wonderful to find a picture of your loving Dad that you had forgotten about.

Tiffanee said...

What a heartfelt post! Your love and respect for your Dad was very clear. I think sometimes we find things later (such as that picture) for a reason and that it is not a coincidence. Your were inspired!! What a precious photo! Thanks for sharing.

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, what a lovely picture of your dad! And what a sweet way for him to say "hi", still with you in so many -- an even unexpected -- ways ... :)

Sunny Sue said...

Such a neat surprise! My daddy is going through so much anxiety right now. He has been suffering through pain for months, is in the hospital now and is sad that he isn't able to see my mom who is in an assisted living home.
I pray that he will accept God's peace and be as relaxed as your dad.
Thank you for sharing~

Deborah said...

What a beautiful post. Your dad was such a blessing to your family. I always loved seeing him and some day we will all see him again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails