Friday, March 11, 2011

Hardraw Force, North Yorkshire Dales

Exiting the 13th century inn, The Green Dragon, at Hardraw in the Yorkshire Dales is the only way I know of to get to Hardraw Force (the waterfall) mentioned in the book James Herriot's Yorkshire. Walking across the grounds behind the pub we first came to this structure, a shepherd's hut or gypsy caravan or something. Anyone who actually knows, please feel free to inform me.


I guess they don't just steal hubcaps.


After paying at the pub to see the waterfall, this sign is enough to put one off the idea of wandering the grounds...except that we'd come a long way to chicken out now.


Hardraw Force, dropping 100 feet to form the stream below


I caught a rainbow - but no leprechaun


 We have no intention of walking behind the waterfall. I'm the person who could hardly look out the car window at Buttertubs Pass. It's not likely that I'd ignore this sign!


The beautiful bubbling stream with walking path


Out in the middle of nowhere with no other tourists, just us, enjoying this awesome scenery.


I walked further up the hill, and when I turned around was able to get a photo of the bandstand where summer concerts and contests are held.


At the top of the hill, more of my favorite souvenir - Yorkshire/Scottish Blackface sheep


Another beautiful stone wall and walking path. Here I'm headed downhill toward the waterfall.


Inside the pub, through which we accessed the waterfall.


Not my favorite decor, but it somehow seemed appropriate in this inn.


I suppose he walked behind the waterfall.


One gets the feeling that the furniture is also 13th century.


Next time I'll use a tripod, or at least set the camera on the table for stabilization.

Coal-burning stove, placed into a fireplace - something that doesn't seem to be uncommon in Yorkshire. I was surprised to see flatbed trucks delivering huge bags of coal to homes and businesses. 

Until recently, we couldn't even find coal to purchase here in NW Wisconsin to use in our cookstove. It has such a small firebox, but just a little coal added to the wood would help keep the fire going through long, sub-sub-zero nights. We haven't had any minus 40 degree F. nights lately, but it does happen.


Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Using a tripod is the only way I can take pictures that are not fuzzy!!
Your pictures are beautiful, though, Judy! I LOVE the waterfall!

Michelle said...

Oh, you take lovely photos! Almost all of mine are wobbly. It's funny that I get the role of family photographer. My husband is much better but doesn't have the patience I guess to take them. I snap and go probably why they're usually blurry. What beautiful country side. I'm really want to take a trip now, somewhere, anywhere. I'm not picky at this point!

Mama Hen said...

Oh goodness these pictures are lovely! That sign reminded me of the waver one has to sign before skydiving. I love the rainbow you caught in your beautiful photo of the waterfall. I have not been there but will keep it on my list. I hope you are well my frined!

Mama Hen

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Oh lovely! Looks very familiar, that little stream. Did they film part of a James Herriot episode there?

Reminds me of Old Man's Cave in southeastern Ohio. All rocks and woods and water.

Love the sheep too!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your photos are wonderful and are almost - almost - as good as being there in person. It looks like a fantastic trip. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Love your pictures! The English countryside is so beautiful, just like ours, but there is so much history lurking just at the surface. I know we have that here, but it's not as visible as a stone fence or amphitheater.

Bethany Nash said...

[geek out]

The Green Dragon is the name of the inn in Bywater in the Lord of the Rings! :D (and yes, I know LotR isn't really your thing)

[/geek out]

Elizabeth said...

Wonderful photographs of a beautiful place, Judy.I'm so pleased you were able to see Yorkshire. x

Anonymous said...

wonderful photos Judy and, like you, I love the one of the sheep - countryside doesn't look the same without sheep grazing in the meadows. take care, Judyx

J_on_tour said...

Great set of photos, thanks for the memory. It's been a long time since I walked up here even though I stopped outside the pub late in the day in more recent times to explain to a passenger about this walk.
I remember the first time I visited here when I was on a school trip when it was allowable to walk behind the waterfall. It looks a bit eroded now and a scary thing to do. I like how you have captured the pub with no-one in it... an achievement indeed.

Tiffanee said...

Wow. Breathtaking pictures. Thanks for taking me on another little getaway. I really needed it today.

Karen Harris said...

What a beautiful walk. On your next trip if you get close enough to Nottinghamshire, I highly recommend a tour of the grounds of Newstead Abby if you haven't done so already. It is just beautiful on a fair day.

Diane said...

Wow, that running water looks soooo peaceful Ÿ

Robin said...

Judy, these are such lovely pictures. Yorkshire is so beautiful and wonderful!!

Empty Nester said...

I could NEVER go there to visit- I wouldn't come back! Oh it's so quaint! I love it! Even the fuzzies! LOL

Lynne said...

These pictures are fantastic! I want so badly to visit the Yorkshire Dales! Thank you so much for sharing your snaps. Your blog is lovely and I'm heading over to your soap blog now after I hit follow here because I certainly want to return :)

Natalya said...

WOW! That's all there is to be said! WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!
However, I am sympathetic to you, I saw the end of an ice rainbow, and it was dreadfully disappointing to find that there are no leprechauns at the end of it. Mother said however that perhaps they hibernate in the winter so there is still hope. And I am not in Europe, and I'm sure it's technically difficult for 3ft tall red-heads in all green clothing carrying huge pots of gold to get through an airline security check. They must just stay where they are. ;)
Love,
Natalya

Miriam said...

Oh my, what beautiful pictures!! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Mama Hen said...

These pictures are so beautiful! I loved looking at them again! Great memories are in each photo. Thank you for your comment the other day. It has been tough for us, but writing that post will hopefully make people aware of the problem. Have a great week!

Mama Hen

partialemptynester said...

Much to my hubby's chagrin, I would be the one trying my darndest to find a way to walk behind the waterfall...it's an odd fascination I have, but I do enjoy a good waterfall! I feel for the poor waterbuffalo...I'm afraid I might have become his companion if I'd been there, unable to control my fascination with the waterfall, lol! Fun, fun, beautiful pics!!!

Cranberry Morning said...

So fun to read all your comments. I wish we could charter a jet and all go visit Yorkshire together! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails