Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Making Feta Cheese


I don't know if you remember my post on Making Mozzarella Cheese, but when all was said and done, it was great fun, nice to have my own fresh Mozzarella, but no savings. The same is NOT true for  Feta Cheese. For one gallon of whole milk, I got 24.5 ounces of Feta Cheese, that's about six times more than my little package of Feta crumbles I buy at the store. So, it's a great savings and very easy!

How did I learn to make Feta? By watching 'How to With Keila' (See video embedded below) - on YouTube, of course. YouTube is also where I find how to do knitting stitches, crochet stitches, and watch eagles on their nests above the Mississippi River. It's amazing!

I took my instructions from Keila and ordered supplies from Leeners.com.

 Feta Supplies and equipment

Whole milk, 30% Calcium Chloride, Liquid Rennet, Mesophilic A Starter Culture, Salt, Mild Lipase Powder - Thermometer, tool to cut the curd, slotted spoon, stainless steel pot

 Milk with all ingredients slowly stirred in, heating on stove


 Keeping track of where I am in the procedure


 Curd gently scooped and placed into cheesecloth-lined colander


 Curd hanging in cheesecloth overnight


 Unwrapping the cheesecloth
Yea, it's Feta Cheese!!


 Final product

I put some in the refrigerator and put the rest in about 6oz. blocks in the freezer to use later. This, I felt was a huge success, considering the savings involved. I hope to barter for some fresh goats' milk to use next time.

I would really like to get my own goats, but I think it would put Bridger in a perpetual state of high stress.

***
 

Ever vigilant






Buy Any Five, Get One FREE

'Green Tea & Ginger'
Natural, Vegan, Homemade Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



This post may be linked to one or more of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and Get in My Tummy and  Cure for the Common Monday and  Clever Chicks Blog Hop and  Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and    Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Creative Showcase and Memories by the Mile and Crafty Texas Girls and  Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday  and Love Bakes Good Cakes and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Wildcrafting Wednesday and   Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Girl Creative, Thursday and  Creative Things Thursday and Be Inspired and Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Friday Fences and  Thursday's Inspiration and  The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and Creative Things Thursday and   Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and Share Your Creativity and   A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday and  Market Yourself Monday and  Saturday Nite Special

23 comments:

Empty Nester said...

Judy- You never cease to amaze me!

Karen Harris said...

Fascinating post. Yes, I do remember your post on Mozzerella. I felt guilty about not making my own until you told me that there is no savings so I can relax a bit. I've really always wanted to do it but for some reason there seems to be very little time. Bridger is such a beautiful dog. I'm sure your decision not to get a heard of goats is much appreciated.

Cranberry Morning said...

LOL. For the price we pay for feta cheese in the store, we all figure it must be difficult to make. But it's not. :-)

Unknown said...

YAY!! You said you were going to do it and you did it! Looks like it turned out great! If I had a goat I would so barter with you :)

Candace said...

Homemade feta must taste so fresh and wonderful! I'm impressed, Judy! I didn't realize that you could freeze it. Maybe when I get a real kitchen, I will be inspired to give cheese-making a try...especially if there's savings involved. My cheese buying habit gets expensive every month. Thanks for sharing! Great post!

Michelle said...

This is so fun! I love that you're making your own cheeses. Wow, homemade feta sounds good. It is so expensive at the stores. I'll have to keep this project in my files as I'm hoping to look into trying to do some more homemade items next fall.

Anonymous said...

you are just toooo clever for your own good!!! lol love any kind of cheese and I enjoyed looking at your photos in various preparation stages.. take care, Judyx

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Oh Yum! Looks like a fun project. Does it taste different with cows milk?

I think you should get goats!! Bridger might like them. He would have something to protect. Or you could get little Shetland sheep! They are so cute!! :)

Tiffanee said...

You are so GOOD!! I would of never thought of making my own cheeses and you just AMAZE me!! It looks wonderfully delicious!!

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Your blog is beautiful! I hopped over from Wandering Wednesday and now a new follower. I hope you'll drop in sometime.
www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

Just Wedeminute said...

Hi, I'm following from Wandering Wednesday! Stop by and say Hi if you get a chance at
http://www.wedemeyerfamily.blogspot.com/

Ok, I have to try this! I make a roasted beet salad that has feta in it and I bet it would be so much better with fresh, homemade feta! YUMMY!!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
I wonder if Joe will be okay with taking care of the cats, dogs, chickens and goats. :) Just kidding! I think it would be cool if you decided to get some goats and chickens. I'd be happy to take care of them, when you head to England.

Unknown said...

I loved this post. Now I want to try it.
Here from the bloghop.
I follow you on GFC. I'd love for you to follow me back
Tiffany
http://tiffspixiedust.blogspot.com
Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

Judy S. said...

1You are a real Wisconsin gal

Unknown said...

You are soooo industrious! I need to channel some of your energy when I get home! Looks great!

Tasha Lehman said...

Wow, you are adventurous! How neat, I bet it is delicious!

George The Lad said...

Thanks for your kind comment
Cheese making, very clever looks just the same as shop brought. I like your paper weight ;)
Have a good week
See Yea george xxx

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel said...

I posted a minute under my other Google account. I deleted it so you wouldn't be confused- it's not linked to anything! :)

Am I the only one who sees the gun in the picture with the recipe?? It threw me off!! :)

So you are saying Bridger wouldn't like a goat as a little sibling?

Hope you had a great week!

:)
Rach

Lisa said...

wow, I can't believe you took the time to do this! What a fun project!

Deborah said...

Okay so you made feta and it looks wonderful!! But my question is this...is the little gun that you used to mark your cheese directions sitting there in case you might shoot yourself if the feta did not turn out? :D haaaa! I know...maybe I should not have posted this because others might not see the humor in it but my friend I could not resist. :D And I miss you.

Yenta Mary said...

I have never tried to do this myself, but it looks like so much fun! An edible chmistry experiment!

loves2spin said...

Thank you for this great information. Incidentally, we do have goats and we also have a 2 year old border collie. His life revolves around hours spent running the perimeter of the goat pen. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails