Monday, March 21, 2011

Knitting Baby Hats

I had so much fun knitting the hats pictured below.
First is the watermelon hat:


The Watermelon Hat

I found this free pattern on Spud & Chloe but didn't want it to be as pointy or as pink as the one pictured on their site. I used size 8 Addi Turbo 16" circular needles, size 8 double pointed needles for all three hats and the following yarns for the Watermelon Hat: Wool-Ease 140 Rose Heather, 180 Forest Green Heather, and 402 Wheat.  For the seeds, I used bits of another Wool-Ease, some variation of dark brown.

 The Apple Hat



The apple hat pattern was also a free pattern, this one by Sara Galley, which I found at Knitting Pattern Central. I wanted a deeper red, and wanted one without wool, so I used Vanna's Choice 180 Cranberry for the apple, Simply Soft's Dark Sage for the leaf, the dark brown for the worm and stem. Rather than knitting a rolled brim, however, I did 5 rows of K2P2 ribbing. The worm is not part of this pattern, but is simply about 3" of I-cord with eyes sewn in.

My new wonderful stainless Hiya Hiya dpns which are SO much better than the nasty plastic dpns I had been using. They come 5 in a pack, so the fifth one must have rolled under the package just before I took the picture.

This hat is a variation on a theme. Found as the adult hat in the Stitch'n'Bitch book don't blame me; I didn't name it by Debbie Stoller, I cast on fewer stitches and did several rows of seed stitch, then made the crown taller than it would have been for a baby hat so that it could be turned up. Okay, to be honest, the taller crown was a mind-wandering accident. But it turned out to be perfect for folding the brim up. Stitches are picked up at the bottom of the turned up brim, then earflaps with I-cord are knitted on. Wool-Ease 402 Wheat for the main color and 107 Blue Heather love that color of blue!! is what I used for the stripe.


I like seed stitch because it looks the same front or back. (Knit 1, Purl 1).You should have seen my first attempt at seed stitch. I kept losing track of whether I was supposed to knit or purl. (I was watching Downton Abbey for the umpteenth time!) Finally, when I learned to recognize the difference between a purl stitch and a knit stitch, which is explained so well in Stitch'nBitch, I was able to look away from my knitting to watch the amazing Maggie Smith, then look back and actually be able to tell which stitch I was supposed to do (a very useful skill.)

So now that spring has sprung, I've at last learned how to knit winter hats. Oh well, there's always next year!

P.S. If you do nothing else, be sure to go to Spud & Chloe and see the cutest sheep ever outside of Yorkshire! He's the project-after-next on my knitting list. :-)


Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

This post is linked to: Making the World Cuter Mondays
and Something I Whipped Up Monday
and Motivate Me Monday
and Making Monday Marvelous
and  Wandering Wednesday

and We Did it Wednesday
and Thrilling Thursday
and Favorite Things Friday
and I'm Lovin' it Friday
and It's a Hodgepodge Friday

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are great, Judy! I LOVE the watermelon hat!!

Empty Nester said...

I know what you mean--Tucker isn't cold anymore and I'm almost finished with his new sweater. And keeping my place while knitting--let's just say that I'm not there yet--I'm still writing down the rows on index cards and turning them as I complete a row. If I get lost, I have to start all over again! Love the hats!!!

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, those are just adorable! I can knit, and every so often I can remember how to purl; so I can make long stretches of yarn that resemble scarves ... not really in my skill set. So I admire GREATLY the ability to make things like this!!!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Very Cute!! Love the watermelon hat!

I am still working on the dropped stitches tutorial. It was a crazy week! We had relations visiting!!

Downton Abbey was so good! I loved all the plotting and planning. Mandy and I watched the whole season one Saturday, so I could get the binding sewn on to my 1920s dress! Such a good excuse to have a movie day!

Soon you will be "lost" if you don't have knitting to do when watching a movie! Keep up the good work!

Karen Harris said...

I think I've told you that learning to knit is on my bucket list and your posts make me want to learn sooner than later. I love the little watermelon hat . . . soooo sweet.

I do encourage you to make that Stromboli and your husband would probably love it as much as mine. He can eat a whole loaf himself. All you have to add is some shoulder pads and some Reeboks with white socks for that 90s Dallas experience.

danika said...

Those hats are all so darling! I love that color blue, too - it seems very Nordic, doesn't it. :)

The apple hat is so darling, and Henry received several compliments on it today when we were out & about. Thank you so much!!

Candace said...

Those are soooo cute! The watermelon one is my favorite. Nice job!

Jenna said...

I love knitted baby hats! I wish I knew how to knit so I could join all you talented people who do and make cute stuff!

Jill said...

I LOVE the watermelon hat! I wish I knew how to knit...
--Jill
jillmadeit.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

I'm loving all your knit projects! You've got me thinking I should give knitting a try when both kids are in school next year. I would love to make them knit or crocheted (I used to crochet so that might be easier for me) lovies and how cute would it be to make them winter caps and scarves. I think I can, I think I can...

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh those are so cute they almost make me want to have another baby...almost!


Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Those are too cute! Love the watermelon one! :)

jennyfreckles said...

Very sweet - like the pink one best. My mum-in-law was a great knitter but it's a skill I've never mastered.

Miriam said...

Oh! Too cute!! I wish I had the time and talent to make these kinds of things :), Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

Tiffanee said...

Those hats are so adorable! You are so talented!!

SomeGirl said...

SO CUTE!! You really need to open a knitted goods shop!

Unknown said...

These are really cute! I wish I could knit!

I am having a giveaway on my blog. $20 store credit from my Carrie Creations to get a backpack with your kids favorite character backpack. (Disney/Nick jr/ pet shop pals,Fancy Nancy Dr. Seuss). check it out.

http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/20-store-credit-from-my-carrie.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails