Monday, November 18, 2013

Oven Roasted Vegetables for Thanksgiving Dinner

The Wee Folk
Wondering why this wasn't on the menu
at the First Thanksgiving!

Since Thanksgiving is just around the corner, I was thinking about some of my favorite foods for Thanksgiving Dinner. Turkey*, of course, stuffed with sage and onion and celery stuffing made with Udis Gluten-Free bread and some Alfresco Chicken Sausages, chopped very fine, crumbled, and stirfried, then tossed with the stuffing; Whole cranberry sauce...

* About that turkey: Am I the only person who can't stomach re-heated turkey? Blech! To me, it tastes like a warm, wet, live turkey smells. I can eat it cold in tiny bites, but have to get it down before it turns warm in my mouth. Is this just me?

Okay, it's just me. Anyway, it's a good reason to make sure the turkey is all eaten at dinner.

AND...the other dish that's usually on our Thanksgiving table:

Thanksgiving Roasted Vegetables.

Recipe:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.


Prepare the following vegetables:
Sweet Potatoes
Onions
Green Peppers
Sweet Red Peppers
Parsnips
Potatoes

Scrub potatoes and quarter. Peel onion and quarter. Pare parsnips and cut into slices. Seed the peppers and cut into chunks.

Place all vegetables into a large Ziploc bag and pour in 1/8 c. olive oil. Shake bag to completely coat the vegetables. Pour out onto a heavy jelly roll pan. Sprinkle on a little sea salt, cayenne, and black pepper.

Place in a preheated 450 degree oven.

Did you remember the cayenne?  It really makes a delicious difference!

 Vegetables, ready for the oven

Bake for 45 minutes+ until veggies are tender and crisp. Turn halfway through (with a metal pancake turner) to crisp up the other side.

Note:  Parsnips should go into the oven first, for about 5-10 minutes because they take a little longer to get tender.


Note 2:  Don't try to get out of using parsnips in this recipe. They're delicious, and so under-appreciated!




Roasted Thanksgiving Vegetables


What's on your Thanksgiving menu?


The Happy Couple
 Mr. & Mrs. Pilgrim,
Vintage S&P

***

Christmas Soaps are Ready!
Buy Any Five, Get One FREE


'Frosted Apple Spice'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop 




Photobucket

This post may be linked to one or more of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and Mosaic Monday and Barn Hop and  Get in My Tummy and  Cure for the Common Monday and  Clever Chicks Blog Hop and  The Marketplace  and  and  Market Yourself Monday and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and Le Chateau des Fleurs and   Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and   Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Knick of Time Tuesday and  Creative Showcase and Memories by the Mile and  Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday  and Adorned From Above and  Love Bakes Good Cakes and Mom on TimeOut  and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and Whatever Goes Wednesday and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Girl Creative, Thursday and Be Inspired and Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Friday Fences and  Thursday's Inspiration and  The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and Creative Things Thursday and   Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and Share Your Creativity and   A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday and  Saturday Nite Special

22 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

These veggies look delicious and are easy to do. I like your little pilgrim people. Have a great day.

Joyce said...

I love parsnips! I made a wonderful cream of parsnip soup last week. They seemed more popular on menus in the UK which is where I grew to love them. I have to remember to look for them here, because they're not something I immediately think of cooking. Your veggies look great...I don't think I can add one more dish to our menu, but I'll try them another time.

Unknown said...

lol... I guess I never really thought about reheated turkey! I'm actually not a huge fan of leftover turkey anyway.. but it has nothing to do with reheating it!:)
I love roasted veggies and only seem to do it about three times a year, if you can believe that.

Trace4J said...

Oh friend.
I sure wish I had a big bowl full of your veggies now.
I love veggies.
I am so looking forward to some sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.
Woolie Blessings

Susie said...

Love the wee people :):) Those veggies do look very good. I love veggies roasted. xoxo,Susie

Donna said...

We love roasted vegetable here too. We haven't come up with our menu yet.

Muffy's Marks said...

I love roasted veggies, and you are right about the parsnips...they are delicious.

Chatty Crone said...

Those veggies look beautiful! Sounds like a good idea too. And I can eat left over turkey and make sandwiches. I have little pilgrims too. sandie

MadSnapper said...

our TG menu is whatever the restaurant serves us.. our 3rd year of eating out. no warmed up turkey here. but i love cold turkey and don't like hot turkey..all your photos make me hungry and i have never bought or cooked a parsnip and am not even sure what they are

TexWisGirl said...

i do not like rewarming any meat. i usually eat leftovers cold. unless it is a hamburger dish.

Vee said...

It's probably not only you...but I adore leftovers including the turkey. You ask about my menu...this sounds easy, but it won't work for my Thanksgiving dinner because it requires such a high heat. I knew I needed two ovens!

Terri D said...

That does sound good! I read a recipe this morning, on FB, very similar to this, only just using butternut squash. Yum to both!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I'm hungry just looking!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
I am getting excited for Thanksgiving too. I do not have to cook.:-) My mom does all of that. It is her favorite holiday and she loves to get ready for it and make all the goodies. We are staying a few days with my parents this Thanksgiving. She always appreciates the help.

My job is to make the place settings and table decorations.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Roasted vegetables are so delicious and one of my favorite dishes to fix. I really like the little pilgrims!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Looks delicious! I really like parsnips, need to remember to get them more often. We never had them until you introduced them to Becky and Becky introduced them to us! No cayenne though. Not a spicy person. When Becky makes them I always complain there are to many spices on them!

Samantha said...

We love parsnips! When I do a roast dinner I do roasted potatoes, honey roast parsnips & roasted carrots (if I can be bothered with the carrots, I'm not a fan myself, but Dus likes them). I love sweet vegetables, so honey roast parsnips are my YES, every time!!

podso said...

You know I think this should be on our menu this year, i've never had a definitive recipe for the time and temperature and thank you! ANd I have the same or very similar Mr and Mrs but they are stand alones, no salt and pepper!

NanaDiana said...

Your roasted vegetables sound yummy, Judy. I am not fond of reheated turkey- I don't like the texture of it. I am really not fond of cold turkey either- lol

I am the only one in my family that loves fresh cranberry sauce. What is WRONG with these people?

I also do a dressing with celery, onions, crumbled sausage, mushrooms and chopped water chestnuts. SOOOO good- now my mouth IS watering. lol

I do whole green beans with almonds, garlic mashed potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and I always make that crunchy oriental slaw, too.

Oh- I will be cooking before you know it- xo Diana

Unknown said...

I don't know yet but thank you for this recipe and the other one you shared. I made it and it was delicious. First time eating chicken sausages and they were so good! I am hooked!! Hugs

Yenta Mary said...

I love roasted vegetables - it intensifies the flavors so wonderfully! Because it's not only Thanksgiving but it's Thanksgivukkah, there will be the standard turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, pie; but we also have to have latkes (may make 'em with corn and yams) to honor the Hanukkah part of the festivities, and sufganiyot (small jelly doughnuts), which need a cranberry or pumpkin infusion of some sort ....

Adorned From Above said...

We love roasted vegis. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. Have a great week.
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
http://www.adornedfromabove.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails