Monday, November 25, 2013

The Changing Seasons in Wisconsin

CLOSED FOR THE SEASON:

 I'm going to get these great vintage yard chairs into the garage for the winter, but when I saw them lying there like that, they reminded me of a resort that is closed for the season.


The dog pen, 18 x 71 feet, complete with insulated, two-room dog house, seldom used. The handful of times we left our dogs in the pen on a summer day, it looked like they spent the entire time against the fence, waiting for us to return. So how often do you think I could do that to them?


The sweet birdbath, given to me by a friend. Even the little bronze bird is cute! A bird would break his beak on the water in there now.


I didn't put fish in the pond this year. I hate it when I forget about them and they turn to fishsicles during the winter. Makes me feel guilty. Anyway, I'm surprised I actually got out there before the first snow and got all the water hyacinths and water lettuces out, reeled in the pond pump, and put it away for the winter. I tried to make note of where I put it!


The pond stream is no longer flowing, of course. And even though we have a birdbath nearby, the birds love splashing in this little stream during the spring and summer.


Even the corn field is closed for the season. The crop has been harvested.


Unless it gets up to 40 degrees, we won't be spending much time out on the new front porch until next spring. And yes, if it's 40 degrees, sunny, and not windy, you might find me having breakfast on the porch!


I love the morning and evening light this time of year. It has such a golden glow!


OPEN FOR BUSINESS:

Our First Customer
'Hey, fellas! It's a feast!'

Word will soon get around and we'll have a very busy cafeteria throughout the winter.
(That's the cranberry bush outside the office window)

***

Christmas Soaps are Ready!
Buy Any Five, Get One FREE

'Honey Oatmeal'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at


This post is linked to From the Farm and Rurality Blog Hop and Friday Fences and Mosaic Monday and Memories by the Mile and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe  and Weekly Top Shot 

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Brrrrrrr!!!! It just looks too cold for me :)

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

It does have a kind of closed look - loved the photos, particularly the one from the porch. Looks like you've had a bit of weather over there...

Susie said...

I see you love birds too:):) Oh it looks plenty cold there today. We are having single digit wind chill.Brr. I am praying the snows stay away till ..oh lets say Jan. or Feb. LOL I have yet to find my gloves...that's what happens when we put things away. Stay warm, xoxo,Susie

MadSnapper said...

all of this is just beautiful and i have seen that sweet little bronze bird in other photos. these beautiful photos and that include the chair pick are wonderful to behold. but not if i were there. this is as close to snow as i want to be... stay warm and i love this view of the new porch... i have a friend not to far from Milwaukee, she sent a photo of lots of snow this morning

TexWisGirl said...

loved this. :) glad you're feeding the birdies. they'll need it.

podso said...

Brrr it looks cold -- and you reflect the stillness well in your photos! We too love feeding the birds … they are so beautiful. And have a nice thanksgiving!

Samantha said...

Your views are so beautiful, and I love seeing little birds, especially so near the window....but BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! I'm already sat with a hot water bottle even though it's double what you'd sit outside eating breakfast in!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Judy. Boy that is cold there with you now. please remember that water as well as bird food is essential for the birdies.

Call Me PMc said...

You take beautiful pictures! But, that snow makes me cold just looking at it!

vintage grey said...

It looks so beautiful there! Keep warm and cozy! Happy Thanksgiving! May it be beautiful and blessed! xo Heather

Olive said...

We went after bird seed yesterday. The red birds were sitting on our empty feeder and I could not stand it a minute longer. Where you are I know the birds really need that seed. You are going to enjoy that porch so much. Here in the land of porches we do not have one at our yellow house and I sure do want one. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Olive

Carla from The River said...

I love your photos Judy. Open for business, that is so cute. So are we. We have a pair of cardinals coming :-)

Muffy's Marks said...

All our summer embellishments are stored away for the winter too!! Don't know when we'll be getting everything out again, as we are planning some major landscaping this spring. Safe travels as you head south for the Thanksgiving holiday!!

Judy said...

Hi Judy...thanks for stopping by my blog...it's always nice to see a new name come through...I like your photos...you had some really nice sunshine after the dusting of snow...very similar to our weather,except we had clouds...

Terri D said...

I so enjoyed seeing your beginning-of-winter photos!

Dorothy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I enjoyed your pictures on this post. Guess I will depend on you and other bloggers in the North, for snow scenes;)

Rick said...

Those photos could have been shot at our place - eerily similar - the pond, stream, bird bath, corn fields, porch ...

That first dusting of snow marks a turning point - the advent of a new season.

Lovely shots, and blog.

Thanks for dropping by.

Cynthia said...

The first picture did remind me of the end of the season. Love all these peaceful pictures!!

Cynthia

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I can't believe you already have so much snow. I also have a bird cafeteria open as soon as it's cold... so it's not opened yet, here in Brittany.

Donna said...

OMG, it's looking cold there!

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful photos. I love the fist snow but it looks cold there. Your porch is wonderful looking. I think I'd sit there on a nice day in winter too. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Chatty Crone said...

Okay I am looking at this at night and it makes me feel COLD!

J_on_tour said...

Great post … light & humour. Hope your cafe gets recommendations !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails