Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Civil War and Peach Pie

No, they're not beautiful. But they tasted pretty good.
Peach Pie and Apple Pie

A Civil War soldier once wrote to his wife back home, “Soldiering is 99% boredom and 1% sheer Terror.”


So my little story goes like this:

We were expecting company for dinner.
A few minutes before taking 2 pies out of my 425 degree oven, Daughter A calls.
Begin cell phone conversation with her.
Timer goes off. Of course. Must take pies out of oven. Really. MUST.
Grab pot holders.
Try to coax blind, deaf dog away from the front of the stove while holding cell phone against my ear with my shoulder.
I know. You're thinking, 'Why doesn't she just hang up?!' Honestly, it never occurred to me.

 'But it's so comfy here.'

Dog won't move. Pies must come out.
Slowly slide dog out of the way with the side of my foot, pleading with her to please hurry. (She's deaf.)
Dog eventually takes the hint and gets up and walks a few feet to step right into the dog water bowl  tipping it over. A gallon and a half of water has made a small lake on the floor.
Naturally, the dog won't walk in the water. She's only blind and deaf. She's not stupid.
I give my dog a heartfelt apology and pet her.
Pies must come out. Open oven door.
Smoke from spills comes billowing out.
Why did I overfill these pies??
Smoke alarm shrieks. Repeatedly. Repeatedly! Repeatedly!! Repeatedly!!!!
I grab Pie A and get  it out, burning my fingers because my stupid hot pad is too thin.
Why do I keep that thing? Why didn't I grab the good ones that Bonnie made for me?? (Because they're so PRETTY!)
Grab a good hot pad.
I reach for Pie B and get it out. Why are pie plates so slippery?

Cell phone beeps. What?? I'm getting a second call, this one from Daughter B. (Calls from the two of them never ever happen simultaneously, except when my fingers are hurting, there's water all over the floor, and my pies are threatening to burn.)
I ignore the beeping momentarily and tell Daughter A 'Hang on!'
Pies are out on racks, Daughter B has given up (and I'll phone her later)
I'm now skating across the floor with a towel under each foot, trying to mop up the water.
Smoke alarm finally stops. I've got to remember to replace the batteries on those things! I'm convinced that they go off at the slightest emission from my oven, but probably would remain silent if the house were on fire.
Dog wanders around and finally lies down on her bed.
Daughter A hangs up.
Phone Daughter B.
Put pie crust strips into oven.
Sigh.
Life back to normal.
Resume general duties.



When I've got leftover pie crust, I put it on a cookie sheet, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on it, and bake it for I don't know, maybe 10 minutes at 400 degrees? or is it 425 degrees?

Do you do this? My kids have always loved it.

***
Christmas Soaps are Ready!
Buy Any Five, Get One FREE

'Frankincense & Myrrh'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soaps

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at


This post may be linked to one or more of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and Mosaic Monday and Barn Hop and  Get in My Tummy and  Cure for the Common Monday and  Clever Chicks Blog Hop and  The Marketplace  and  and  Market Yourself Monday and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and Le Chateau des Fleurs and   Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and   Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Knick of Time Tuesday and  Creative Showcase and Memories by the Mile and  Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday  and Adorned From Above and  Love Bakes Good Cakes and Mom on TimeOut  and Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and Whatever Goes Wednesday and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Girl Creative, Thursday and Be Inspired and Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Friday Fences and  Thursday's Inspiration and  The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and Creative Things Thursday and   Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and Share Your Creativity and   A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday and  Saturday Nite Special

32 comments:

SImple and Serene Living said...

Sounds like a pretty normal day. Why do we save the pretty things as if they weren't meant for use. Wish I had a piece of the peach pie. xo Laura

podso said...

That's quite a story and amusing as it has happened to me in some fashion or another more than once! Those phones are hard to hold next to your ear without a hand!

I used to do that to the left over crust but haven't in years! I actually used to roll mine up with cinnamon and butter and some sugar. They were like miniature cinnamon buns. Thanks for the memories!

Deanna said...

Ha! I haven't done that with the pie crust scraps. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.

Susie said...

Yes, you are a mommy and busy as can be. :):) Isn't this the norm? I say those pies look darn good and I would love a slice with ice cream please. Blessings to you and yours for a great Thanksgiving. xoxo,Susie

Diane said...

So it goes... Via Grandma, I roll up the leftover pie crust w/ butter and cinn spread on it and slice like cookies. Not bad.

Yenta Mary said...

OY!!! But the pies are gorgeous - rustic and beautiful, just the way I like them - despite all the chaos surrounding them ... :) Have a lovely, blessed, happy holiday!

Ruth Kelly said...

Whew, I am out of breath just reading about the pie story. I finally moved my thin hot pads into storage so I would not use them and I know exactly how you feel about using the ones that are so pretty.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

How cute is this post?! And it is SO ME! I totally relate. Been there, still doing it! Yes, I can't waste one bit of crust so I sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on them but I roll mine up and then bake. Don't know the oven temp....just throw them in till you smell them (burning!) Happy Thanksgiving!

Amy Burzese said...

Oh, dear. We can all relate to similar. My grandmother always cooked the extra pie crust! It was delicious!

Amy Burzese said...

And, I meant to say that the pies are beautiful and to have a very happy Thanksgiving!

TexWisGirl said...

crisis averted. :)

RURAL said...

I have to say, if those pies are not considered beautiful, and totally delish, I have no idea what is.

That's a million times nicer then anything I have ever made.

And you had a funny story to tell also.

Jen

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I really liked that write-up. You paint an amusing, vivid, picture - made me smile; thank you!

Confessionsofanemptynester.com said...

Loved the post - my mom use to do that with extra pie crust - I'm not sure why I never did. I will have to start doing that with my Grands - The crust is the best part!

MadSnapper said...

Hilarious and so glad the dog was not injured, the pies did not burn, the baker was not harmed in the making of this story... and i love piecrust baked alone without anything on it, so this way i would eat it all

Call Me PMc said...

I can't get off the phone with my mother so I put her on speaker and go about my cooking! Love this story! And the pie crust scraps - I have a secret, I think I like them better than the pie!! Have a wonderful holiday!

Pamela Gordon said...

Sounds like a busy morning for you. I don't bake pies much but I like your idea for the leftover scraps of dough. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Lol! Great story! We do bake the leftover crust too. It is Mom's favorite part! Her mother use to do it too.

Terri D said...

I don't make pie crust. Sometimes I buy a pie crust from the freezer, but I usually just let Publix bake my pies for me! :) And you've just given me a couple more good reasons to continue letting Publix bake my pies for me!! :)

Great story!!

Vee said...

I'm feeling slightly anxious... Good writing!

No, I have never done that with pie scraps. It looks easier than what I do!

Anonymous said...

LOL, multi-tasking, why do we do it?
I have never tried that with pie crusts, I will next time. Your pies look delicious.

Noelle the dreamer said...

Judy, this sounds like my kind of kitchen! Darling pooch!
Will have investigate the crust strips recipe hubby says!
Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving.
May His light shine upon you and yours always,

Muffy's Marks said...

Oh so funny!!! They gosh darn better appreciate those pies!! Wait until they hear the rest of the story!!

Judy S. said...

Peach pie's a favorite at this house; so glad you saved 'em. We do the same thing with leftover crust only roll them up and slice to bake; DH's mom called the Sara Barbaras but don't know why. So do we!

vintage grey said...

Your pies looks quite tasty!! Love the pie scraps, too! Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving! xo Heather

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This story cracks me up!

Eileen H said...

The pies probably tasted all the better for it!
My daughter always phones while we are eating for some reason :-)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Thanksgiving my friend! Blessings for you and your sweet family. Hugs, Diane

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

Sounds like me every day - minus the daughters'call - but my mother calls! I'm a recipe for disaster all by myself!

Donna said...

Though it wasn't funny at the time for you, the whole story is hilarious!!!

Auntiepatch said...

Oh, what a sweetie! How old is she?

Maria said...

Your pies look absolutely delicious!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails