Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Life With a Four Year Old - and Chicken Soup

Those fun little 4 year olds!


I got an email from our daughter yesterday morning. It went like this:

"A Henry went into the bathroom...... and came out like this. 'I put on a costume! Cheeeese!'"

This kid is so funny! And I think the costume thing is in his DNA. His mom did that on a regular basis when she was little. But I don't remember the undies on the head. He must get that from the other side of the family. LOL (just kidding, dear SIL)

 'Shhh. Did you see Sam over there? I think he's watching us. 
How do I look? Do I have grain stuck in my beak?'

'You're lookin' mighty good to me, ladies.'


Sam, the Amish rooster
Ain't he a handsome fella!
He actually reminds me of someone, but I can't quite place it...
and if you look at this photo long enough, you'll see him blink.;-)

It was windy and cool here yesterday. In fact, it was so chilly that I had to wear my winter uniform: Cudl Dud top, polar fleece vest, jeans. I probably get more good out of a polar fleece vest than anyone else I know. 

It's trending toward soup/stew weather. Our daughter (Henry's mom) sent me a photo of the chicken soup she had made. I asked her if I could post her photo and the soup recipe on my blog today, so you'll have another great chicken soup recipe with which to usher in fall. You won't be sorry. She's a good cook.

 Hearty chicken vegetable soup
Instagram Photo

She wrote, "Huzzah! Let the season of hearty soups begin! (In this version: zucchini, sweet red pepper, carrots, celery, and sweet potatoes, simmered in homemade chicken stock, blended with an immersion blender until nearly smooth; a bit of already-cooked rice added in, and a little coconut milk swirled into each bowl.) :)" 

One of these days I'm going to figure out Instagram and follow her. She has some terrific photos!

***

Check out my natural, handcrafted, vegan soaps!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

'Pumpkin Spice'

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



Although I usually forget to do it, there is a chance that this post will be linked to one or more of these great linky parties: Inspiration Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday and Treasure Box Tuesday and KatheWithAnE and Rubbish Tuesday and Tuesday with a Twist and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and Adorned From Above  and All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and Good Fences on Thursdays and  Time Travel Thursday and Freedom Fridays and Junkin' Joe and Vintage Inspiration Friday and A Favorite Thing Saturday

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Henry is cute as can be! What a fun picture.
The soup sounds/looks delicious. Not quite autumn weather here but maybe soon!

camp and cottage living said...

Yum, soup sounds and looks delicious.
Henry is sure entertaining! He must keep you all in stitches. It's so wonderful today that we can have photos of the g'kids within seconds!

Arlene G said...

Little Boys!! I grew up in a family of girls so my boys broke me in on the things they come up with!!:) And yes, it is getting a bit cooler here in North Alabama as well. i also have a pretty red polar fleece vest that I wear in the winter!! so cozy!

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Henry is adorable! Love the look of the underwear on the head! Who knows, he may start a new trend.

Linda Kay said...

Your grandson is so cute with his undies on his head! I'm really glad you are already bundling up, I'm not ready for cold weather.

Anonymous said...

Judy, I actually have a pic of my SIL wearing undies on his head! LOL!!
And a literal Laugh Out Loud with the grain stuck in the beak comment!
And then I though to myself - wow, you can use other veggies besides carrots and celery in chicken soup? Duh. Ab-so-lutely gonna try this one. Need some chicken carcasses to make the broth, tho. I can see me knocking on my neighbor's door and instead of asking to borrow a cup of sugar, asking to borrow a chicken carcass! :) m & jb

Amy Burzese said...

Henry is so cute, the girls are beautiful, the soup looks and sounds delicious, and the rooster reminds me of Donald Trump. Send cold weather down here, please. Thank you. 😛

Cheryl said...

I am still drinking my morning coffee, but I'm drooling over that soup! Yum! And, yes, it is a beautiful photo!

Two of my children were costumers. Sooo funny! One even declared "Costume Wednesday" for a while. :)

TexWisGirl said...

adorable little goofball!

Donna said...

LOL, that is quite a costume! We got into the soup making mode yesterday. Made up a big batch of chicken gumbo, with cheesy biscuits on the side. Love the soup photo. Instagram isn't hard at all. Just sign up for it, upload a profile photo, and write a short profile. Then start uploading photos here and there. If you open an account let me know, OK? I have two Instagram accounts (one regular and one for artsy photos).

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Well, Henry is so sweet! We used to raise chickens for their eggs. What a darling pic of your Grandson.
You never know what they will do or say. I need to look at your soaps, to see if you make something for my sensitive skin.

Lorrie said...

Henry is quite the cut-up. I remember my son putting his underwear on his head, too. Such fun!
The soup looks and sounds delicious! We're still enjoying sunny weather and salads, but soup days are not far ahead.

Pamela Gordon said...

Kids are so funny. And so natural. I love your daughter's photo. I'm not on Instagram either as I think it will just take too much time. There aren't enough hours now. It's cooler here too, but so beautiful.

Elizabeth said...

Henry is cute! We have one like him, he is 6! The soup looks wonderful!

L. D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L. D. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L. D. said...

The four year old looks like he is a lot of fun. Always enjoy the picts of the chickens. The soup looks good.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

LOL I love Underwear Head! :)

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a cutie pie... and what a great picture of Henry in his 'costume'.

That soup looks yum yum. We had to make soup yesterday as it was coolish around our place too.

Enjoyed your picture pictures ... great captions!

Wishing you a great day,
Brenda
xox

Terri D said...

Henry is SO cute!! That's one of those photos to keep, and pull out when he has a serious girlfriend (in about 30 years!). That IS a mighty handsome rooster, and no wonder the girls are anxious! :)

I made beef vegetable soup last night and can't wait to have it for dinner tonight. It isn't good until it has "matured" at least overnight. Yum. Our weather did not put me in the mood for soup, but football on the TV sure did!

Maude Lynn said...

Henry is a doll!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So cute - just think, you can blackmail him with this photo when he is a teenager! Might get him to do a few chores for you that way......:) The soup looks so yummy and those chicks are too funny! Thanks for the giggles. xo Karen

NanaDiana said...

Gotta love a kid that wears underpants on his head! lol I won't tell you that I had a "relative" that wore a pair of kid's old underwear on her head when she was cleaning something really dirty and pulled her hair out the leg holes. lol No - I would never tell that!

I am ALMOST ready for soup but trying to hold on to summer for all it is worth- xo Diana

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Now that is my kind of soup, thick and hearty!! We're still a couple months away from cooler weather here in Orlando...Can't wait!

ps:adorable grandbaby!...Big boy lol!

Carol

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That picture of Henry is too cute! I love the rooster and the hens. Yes that rooster is very handsome. The soup looks delicious.

Valerie said...

Dear Judy,
How cute is Henry! My boys used to do this very same thing. What is it with little boys and bathroom humor? ;) I just love to hear little boys giggle. It is such a wonderful sound. Almost like a belly laugh.
Love your rooster pictures!
That soup looks yummy.
Blessings,
Valerie

Lynne said...

Gotta love that little one clowning around . . .
Love it!

Eileen H said...

Haha, he's such a cute little boy :)

We're having some September sunshine here but it'll soon be soup and stew weather. That soup looks delicious!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Looks great!

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I think EVERY little boy does that thing with the underpants; some wait a few years though...your grandson must be an early developer.

Anonymous said...

Four-year-olds provide some great entertainment. The soup sounds good, a nice veggie mix in there. I got my first polar fleece vest last fall, it's the perfect weight so often.

Ida said...

Oh that costume shot is too cute.
The Chicken Soup sounds yummy. Nights are getting cooler here so it will soon be time for warm soups.

Judy S. said...

Four? I remember when he was just an itty bitty guy. How time does fly!

shari @ keto foodification said...

Love your recipe. I would be honored if you would come by and share at Foodie Fridays party this week starting Thursday 9pm EST. Hope to see you there!
Blessings,
Shari
http://puregracefarms.com/

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

four-year olds are the BEST! That picture could go on the Xmas card!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails