Saturday, September 27, 2014

Sunrise, Sunrise

Sunrise September 24, 2014
From our Porch


Sunrise, September 24, 2014
From our Porch

On Wednesday morning I awakened to this gorgeous sunrise. In a few minutes it had turned from that deep orange to pinks and blues. It was breathtaking.

Whenever I see such amazing beauty, I am so grateful to God for giving us sight and perception. I know I've said that before, but each time it strikes me anew as to the generosity of our loving God.



 PSALM 95: 6-11

 Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker! For he is our God,
and we are the people of his pasture,
and the sheep of his hand.
Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts, as at Meribah,
as on the day at Massah in the wilderness,
when your fathers put me to the test
and put me to the proof, though they had seen my work.
For forty years I loathed that generation
and said, 'They are a people who go astray in their heart,
and they have not known my ways.'
Therefore I swore in my wrath,
'They shall not enter my rest.' 


 'For there is one God, and there is 
one mediator between God and men,
 the man Christ Jesus,
who gave Himself as a ransom for all...'

- I Timothy 2:5-6
   
 
REPENTANCE
 
My Bible study group is studying I Thessalonians. In a commentary on that book, one author wrote, 'Repentance is not a philosophy of life. Repentance involves an allegiance to Jesus as Lord and Christ. For the Thessalonian Christians, repentance meant a change of allegiance from Caesar to King Jesus. For new Christians, that initial moment might be very clear, but idolatry is deeper than simply going to a temple to worship a false god. Idolatry is anything we put in place of God...People make idols out of history and nature and economics and politics...It is simply not true that once you say a prayer or have a certain kind of experience you are in...These Thessalonians had to keep turning to Christ for the rest of their lives, and so do we. They had to be continually delivered by Jesus through repentance and faith...Our final salvation does not rest on how good we are or how much we have changed. It rests upon the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus provides forgiveness and righteousness, and Jesus is continually at work to deliver us from the wrath to come.' 
 
 - from I & Thessalonians - The Hope of Salvation, James H. Grant Jr., edited by R. Kent Hughes. You can find this book in hardcover or for your Kindle at Amazon.com


Have a blessed Lord's Day.


Photobucket


27 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

gorgeous!

L. D. said...

Two beautiful shots of your area of the country. I enjoyed and appreciated your own bible study today.

Anonymous said...

Love that Psalm and those beautiful Sunrises!

MadSnapper said...

fantastic, spectacular, amazing, awesome and there are many more words... there is nothing like God's sunrise... except of course His sunset but i don't see the sunsets... i think the sunrise/sunset is prettier in the month of Sept through Dec here and it looks that way for you to. my most beautiful sightings are in this time of the year.

Anonymous said...

What incredible photos. My mom was visually impaired but did have sight up until age 30. I struggled with words to describe to her the beauty around us. I can't imagine what is must be like for someone who is blind from birth.
Blessings to you this weekend.

Hootin Anni said...

Breathtaking!!!

Suzan said...

My Goodness Judy!!
What a beautiful sight to wake up to!! And to be able to capture with your camera!! Thank you for sharing one of Gods many beauty's!!!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Nothing is better that both your beautiful photographs of sunset and sunrise shots.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Beautiful way to start the day!

Donna said...

Those two sunrises are both glorious! What a great way to start the day!

Chatty Crone said...

What wonderful and beautiful gifts God gives us when we just open our eyes - THANK YOU!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

that is gorgeous!! what a view. ( :

Arlene G said...

Beautiful and timely Judy!

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful sunrise photos! We've had some beauties lately too. The sunsets have been very plain clear and colourless. Thanks for sharing the scripture. Blessings. Pam

Susie said...

Judy, I love the wonderful colors of your pictures. You know I love sky shots. xoxo,Susie

Linda Kay said...

Thanks for your inspirational post today!

Debbie Harris said...

Such a beautiful sunset you encountered, Judy! Your scripture was chosen perfectly to go with those photos.
What an excellent Bible study you are in, good for you in sharing it with us.
Sweet blessings to you, Debbie

Cheryl said...

Thank you for sharing today...the beauty of creation, and the Words of Life. Such beautiful verses! And such profound thoughts about repentance. If I am saved by His grace, how do I think that I can do anything aside from His grace?

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a stunning sunrise and beautiful post :)

Michelle said...

Just beautiful! Wishing you a wonderful Sunday!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Amazing photos.
Thank you for the post as well.

Carla

Anonymous said...

Pretty skies!

Debby Ray said...

Just getting caught up on all of the posts I missed from last week...these are GLORIOUS!

A Colorful World said...

Wonderful post! Our pastor has been preaching in 1 Thessalonians too! Your sunrise shots are AMAZING! Wow! It does make one feel closer to God to see all the beauty He has surrounded us with!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Beautiful!

Terri D said...

Lovely photos, and reflection on salvation.

J_on_tour said...

You have some amazing shots there, well done.

We always need to be aware of and control the potential idols that knock on the door of our lives.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails