Friday, May 18, 2012

Anglophile Friday - Budget Accommodations, Yorkshire Dales

Moles on a Gate.
Maybe the sheep put them there!
I think I took this photo just west of  West Burton
It has two of my favorite elements: Blackface Sheep and Drystone Walls

And now, on to Budget Accommodations in the Yorkshire Dales, (cuz I know you're all going to travel to the UK this summer/fall!)


West Burton Studio Apartment
in the Yorkshire Dales

If I ever get back to the Yorkshire Dales, this is one place I'd like to stay. Between Leyburn and Hawes, I think it's a perfect location. I subscribed to emails from Country Hideaways because I love to torture myself check out places in Yorkshire for possible future stays. This one has always appealed to me. First, because it's at the low end of the rental scale. Second, because of the location, and third, because I can take a dog along. (Maybe I could rent a dog while there?) ;-)

From their website:

Studio Apartment, West Burton:

West Burton is recognised as one of the loveliest villages in the Yorkshire Dales and is unique with its large green, market cross, stocks and no through traffic. The old watermill occupies a superb location by Walden Beck, with nearby waterfalls, pools and a pack horse bridge. 

The waterfall pools provide swimming on the doorstep and fishing is permitted in season to resident holidaymakers. 

Numerous footpaths cross the nearby dales and hills providing spectacular views and clean bracing air.

The Studio is a compact, tasteful, well equipped apartment.

The entrance is down a flight of quarry tiled steps through a galley kitchen, with fitted pine cupboards, leading into a lounge (approximately 18'x10') with dining and sleeping area with double bed .

There is a separate shower room with washbasin and toilet.

Lovely views over the water from both lounge and kitchen.

The Studio Apartment adjoins the Garden Level Apartment and the two can be rented together.

Duvets and pillows are provided. Linen and towels can be supplied at an extra cost of £6.50 per person.  (I think the last I checked, the exchange rate was $1.59 per GBP, so it's coming down. Which does not mean the dollar is strong, but just how weak the pound is becoming. Sad news for all.)

Oil-fired central heating and electricity included. Electric blanket.

Colour television, Free Sat, video, DVD, Baby Belling oven, microwave oven, radio/cassette/CD, shaver point, hairdryer, cot and high chair.

Off road parking, shop and pub 300 yards . Bus route nearby.

One well behaved small dog welcome.  (That would definitely eliminate Bridger from the list of possibilities)

Strictly non smoking.

*** 

I realize that these are not luxury accommodations, but who goes to England just to spend their time indoors??

7 nights in September for £242 means  55 USD per night per room (not per individual). That's at the current 1.59 USD/GBP rate. Who knows what it will be by September. And no, I don't have current plans to go to Yorkshire in September, but if I could...

This is why renting a holiday cottage is SUCH a better deal than hotels or even B&Bs, and as long as there are interesting places to visit within a short radius, it's the perfect solution. The Yorkshire Dales is full of interesting places and gorgeous scenery!

And if any of you ever stay here, I hope Country Hideaways sends me a commissions check! lol


Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

19 comments:

Pamela said...

Lovely post! Self-catering is a much better deal and you have the freedom to eat in or out as you choose. When we rented a holiday cottage in the Dales, we were able to stay up as late as we wanted, come down to breakfast in our pajamas, and have endless rounds of tea and scones when we felt like it. Thank you, Judy, another one to add to the list of Places To Stay.

Cranberry Morning said...

Pamela, our introduction to holiday cottages was when we and our daughter and son-in-law rented a h.c. for a week in Sutton-on-the-Forest, north of York. It was fabulous - for all the reasons you mentioned plus that lower rental fee.

Unknown said...

That cottage is lovely! And I can see why you would want to stay there. I wish I had my own personal jet, I'd come get you and we'd be there before you know it!!

Parsley said...

You know how I love these posts! I want to come with you. I need a tour guide! (This is Autumn/Parsley) I've reopened my old blog. :)

Joyce said...

I love the sheep!

Debra Hawkins said...

What a lovely little place! Man, you are making me want to go back to England!

Empty Nester said...

You are always making me want to go over there! And I do NOT fly! LOL

RURAL said...

Makes me want to drop by and book a few nights...I love the sheep, and the dry stacked wall.

Always had plans for one of those..maybe one day, the wall, not the sheep. LOL.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Chatty Crone said...

Okay at first I was wondering if this was by you - but I see it is not.

Hey it looks so peaceful - wish I could afford it.

Would love to go and be with the sheep.

You are lucky to have been there.

Love, sandie

Lois Christensen said...

The first photo is really nice, however, are those moles hanging there??? We had such a problem with moles around our house I was going crazy! Thankfully they were out in the garden and our rock wall. Haven't seen them in awhile, but of course they will appear now that I have written about them. Maybe I'll print out this photo to scare them! Enjoy your weekend!

kathy b said...

I love stone walls too!

Cranberry Morning said...

On my Anglophile Friday posts, anything copied from another website will be noted as such and will be in italics. The remainder, including photos that have the watermark 'Cranberry Morning' is written by me. Sorry if this was unclear. :-)

Ruth Kelly said...

Would you really fly your dog to England? I do love the description of the place in Yorkshire and I have my fond memories of driving from west to the east of Yorkshire and down to Hull.

Cranberry Morning said...

I was kidding about the dog. I would never put a dog through the flight and the subsequent quarantine unless I were relocating to England. And at Bridger's age of 11.5 years, I would not do that in any case.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

That would be the perfect place to say!! Love it!!

Eileen H said...

I know we live in the UK, but we rented an apartment just near the racecourse in York a few years back. It was dog friendly and we were able to walk our dog on the racecourse. The city of York is a fabulous place to visit.
Self catering is the best idea because you can come and go as you please.

I love your idea of renting a dog...I'm sure that might be possible :-)

MadSnapper said...

i would so love to go and see this and stay in that studio. who needs space indoors? just wander and look look look

Yenta Mary said...

I've never understood people who travel just to loiter in the hotel - why?!?!? Save money on the accommodations - a clean bed and bathroom are the only essentials - and spend your time and money on the adventure!

J_on_tour said...

Nice little post. You sell it well with a unique marketing opportunity of a rent a dog scheme ... I love that idea.

Unfortunately all the star rated budget B&B properties that I use and monitor seem to be gaining popularity with trip advisor users & have been tweaking their prices up to £40 with the economic hardship. The last time I did an accommodation search (based on price & requirements) in this area I ended up near Skipton on the edge of things as places like Kettlewell were off the map, haha in that department. The next time I look at it, Hawes will be the option.

West Burton is a lovely idyllic village that I have only had the privilege of visiting once (on foot) due to its location. It is ideal an ideal & peaceful location for reaching all parts of the dales. The weather was somewhat ... err ... English !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails