Friday, May 4, 2012

Anglophile Friday - Favorite Photos of England

Reminder: 'Mother's Day Sale,' 20% off  all my handcrafted soaps, ends tonight at 10 PM CDT. Stop in and check it out at Soap'n'Such.


Milk bottle outside a door in Askrigg
on a rainy day in North Yorkshire

I've decided that although most of my England photos have already been used in my blog posts, I have some newer readers who may not have seen them. And of course, going through my photos again brings back wonderful memories of the great times we had visiting England. So yes, this is probably an entirely selfish motive. But anyway, Fridays, at least for a while, will be designated as 'Anglophile Friday - Favorite Photos of England' here on Cranberry Morning. One by one, my favorite England photos will be shown here. I  hope I won't be the only one enjoying them. Thanks for indulging me. :-)

The photo above was taken in 2004. I wonder if milk is still delivered to the door in Askrigg. I hope so.

Well...

Since I started this blog post, I have found out that yes, indeed, milk is still delivered to the door.

From the website of Stony End Luxury Bed and Breakfast Accommodation, this line:

'Our milk comes from Allen Kirkbride in Askrigg, he milks his own cows and delivers our milk daily.'

And in case you'd like to see their menu (I couldn't help browsing their website,) here it is.

Main Courses

Yorkshire Dales Breakfast
Baked Egg in Mushroom Tartlet with Blue Wensleydale Cheese
Devilled Lambs Kidneys with Grilled Tomatoes
Scrambled Egg & Home Oak Smoked Trout
Home Oak Smoked Trout with Boiled Egg and Capers
Eggs Benedict with Smoked Trout or Ham
Home Oak Smoked Trout Kedgeree
Oak Smoked Haddock & Poached Eggs
Dales Trout Fillet in Oatmeal with Creamed Horseradish
Dales Trout Fishcake served with Bacon, Grilled Tomato and a spicy Tomato Sauce
Locally Smoked Kippers with Grilled Tomato
Wensleydale Cheese with Grapes & Celery, Stoney End Apple Chutney & Oaten Biscuits
Two Boiled Eggs with Marmite Soldiers
We also offer Omelettes with a filling of your choice


(Kevin loves English breakfasts!)


I thought Marmite sounded like a type of plastic, but happy to find out that it is some sort of yeast food item that one evidently spreads on toast. Toast 'soldiers,' that is, aka toast sticks.  So then I had to browse the internet to show you  a photo of toast soldiers.  Here's one from ifood.tv -


 Ewwwwwww!!!


I can tell you right now, before I've even tasted Marmite, that I prefer my toast soldiers with Marmite, rather than runny egg yolk. Check this out, the Marmite website. It'll give you a better idea of how people in the UK feel about Marmite. Who knew!

And now (looking back at that menu) I can see that this is going to lead me to another post about the Wensleydale Creamery. It's a fabulous place with amazing cheeses. But then, how could you not like something that has the Wallace and Gromit seal of approval?  
But that's for another time.


'Say cheese, Gromit.'

Have a great weekend, everyone!

***

P.S. Today is the last day of the 20% off sale on all my handmade soaps at Soap'n'Such.com. 

Hurry, this sale ends at 10 PM tonight. Soaps ordered today (not including single bars which go First Class Mail,) should still get there in time for Mother's Day. Check the sidebar on Soap'n'Such for shipping information.




...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

24 comments:

Pamela said...

What a lovely post - so many memories! I used to love to open the front door and pick up the milk bottles. I always used to loosen the top of one and stick my finger into the thick cream on top - so yummy! The breakfast menu looks divine - my husband is looking forward to a stay in a bed and breakfast one day, any bed and breakfast as long as kippers are served. And toast soldiers, oh my goodness, you have taken me right back to my childhood. We used to have Noddy and Big Ears eggcups at my aunt's house to hold our eggs and toast soldiers were always the accompaniment. Have a wonderful weekend! Cheerio!

Eileen H said...

As one of your new readers I'll look forward to your Friday photos of England.

Not many people have their milk delivered to the doorstep anymore. It's a shame and so much nicer than the 4 litre plastic bottles from the supermarket. It does bring back memories of the thick cream at the top of the bottle!

I feel hungry after reading that menu...mmm boiled egg and soldiers...not had breakfast yet :-)
As for Marmite, you either love it or hete it. Me, I've never tried it!

See you soon.
Eileen

Unknown said...

I have seen this picture and I LOVE it! What a great shot... and it just makes you think of days long gone... at least here in America :)

Bethany Nash said...

Oh my sweet deliciousness. That menu is made of awesome.

(Marmite is okay with butter. Mom likes it.)

Autumn said...

I just love these posts.

Cranberry Morning said...

I have never seen Marmite in the stores around here. Is it available in Wisconsin???

Yenta Mary said...

Loved seeing the menu, the charming doorway with the milk bottle, and even the runny egg. As someone who has, indeed, tried Marmite, let me assure you that even YOU with your runny yolk aversion would undoubtedly prefer the egg to that salty, vile spread! I think you've gotta be raised on it to be able to eat it ... or even get near it ....

RURAL said...

Love doors, and that one is certainly a nice one...I remember milk deliveries...that dates me doesn't it?

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

PS the dog on my blog is Blue.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

I remember that photo! So pretty.

My what a varity for breakfast. The egg in mushroom tartlet looks tempting!

Debra Hawkins said...

You can totally show your photos over and over if you want. I don't mind. :)

Empty Nester said...

I absolutely love that photo! Birdie and her boytoy are going to London in July- any suggestions on must sees?

ruthie said...

Those breakfast items make my cereal and smoothie breakfast look really lame. I better not show my hubby what other people eat or he'll expect me to step it up a notch or two.

Ruth Kelly said...

I love your pictures of England; they remind me of my trip there. I never knew that there were so many different ways to serve Trout. There is nothing better than the trout my grandpa caught when I was a kid. Wallace and Gromit are favorites of mine and my daughters.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post! How nice to get your milk delivered to your door - lovely door by the way! Nice breakfast menu - I can appreciate a full Irish breakfast at times...similar to the English one. Have a lovely weekend my friend!
Big hugs
Eva

Lois Christensen said...

Love your post and I remember having milk delivered to our house when I was a little girl growing up in Queens. That Marmite doesn't sound too good either! Hope you're having a nice day!

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

I love that photo! It brought back such sweet memories of when Josh was a baby and we had a milkman. Totally on a different side, I also remembered that at that time, we had diaper service! How fun, dirty diapers and fresh milk all on the doorstep! Lol!

George The Lad said...

Yes, we have toast soldiers dad does the eggs as he is better than mom at a runny middle ;)
Marmite!! hate it.
I have seen some of your England posts but look forward to the revisit.
That Abbey place you said is on our list to visit ;)plus Castle Howard, York, Whitby and some more if we can fit it in:)
Have a good week
See Yea George xxx

George The Lad said...

Oh I forgot to say, I love the first photo :) and I think Tess looks like Gromit

Chatty Crone said...

I can remember milk being delivered - I bet for enough money you can still have it delivered. lol And I like the memories you are sharing and the photos. sandie

Christa said...

Oh, I'd love to go to England one day! Thanks for posting your pictures. Looking forward to seeing more.
Christa

Christa said...

P.S. I'm your newest follower!
Christa

Denise said...

Wonderful post.

Midwest to Midlands said...

We still get our milk delivered to the door in glass bottles. it is so good too. We know a milkman and sadly his routes are declining because it is too difficult to compete with the grocery store prices.

J_on_tour said...

I love the contrast between the milk bottle and the blue door posts. I enjoyed reading through that amazing breakfast menu. Never quite seen anything like that before ... the cheapskate that I am !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails