Monday, May 7, 2012

My Favorite Sandwich - Gluten Free

 Oven-roasted beef and pepperjack cheese

Some of you may look at this and refuse to put beef OR cheese into your body. You're also seeing what you think is a marbling of fat in that beef. I'm sure it's just scratches on the photograph. ;-) This sandwich has amazing flavor and great sources of protein.

You know that slump you often get at 2 or 3 o'clock in the afternoon? Eating this at noon keeps it from occurring.


My daughter was right. It IS a good sandwich bread!

I would not use Udis for toast, for it's very light-weight and I like a dense slice of toast. For toast, I prefer my own homemade gluten-free bread. Follow this link to find my Homemade Gluten-free Bread Recipe. 

But Udis sandwich bread is great as a beef and cheese holder. 

And now, for the key ingredient:



 The magic ingredient!

I went to the Silver Spring Foods website to get the lowdown on their horseradish. Here's what they say in answer to the gluten question:

Are your products gluten free?
As you may be aware, the FDA has proposed a definition for "gluten-free" that prohibits the inclusion of specific "prohibited grains" and mandates the product contain less than 20 parts-per-million of gluten (www.fda.gov). Our products satisfy both of those requirements. If you remain concerned about potential trace amounts of gluten as allowed by the FDA's definition, we encourage you to consult with your physician.

It's an amazing sandwich. I hope you'll try it, and be sure to let me know how you like it. :-)


Photobucket
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

17 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

This looks great. My hubby loves pepper jack cheese and I have a secret love for horse radish! I had it for the first time as a sauce with roast beef at a fancy restaurant and that started my love! I need to look for that spread. Hope you're having a nice day!

Unknown said...

I LOVE roast beef and pepper jack cheese sandwiches.. they truly are my favorite too! And I love that you use horseradish...will have to mix some into my mayo next time I make one!

Yenta Mary said...

I want a roast beef 'n' cheese sandwich right now, thank you! Why wait 'til noon??? And, of course, horseradish is the perfect schmear ... :)

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious to me :) A good combination I would say, as a lunch snack. That cheese looks tasty too.
Have a lovely day!

Eva

Heide at ApronHistory said...

What would we do without Real Wisconsin Cheese?!? I probably eat way too much of it! Lol!

But no thanks on the horseradish.

Debra Hawkins said...

So random question. I noticed you do a lot of gluten free. Do you do that because you have to or just want to? I have considered going gluten free to see if it makes me feel better and wondered why you do certain things gluten free.

Cranberry Morning said...

Yes, Debra, I feel a lot better when I stick with gluten-free food. I think that if I had a violent reaction to gluten, I would be more strict with it, but gluten (and more than minimal amounts of corn, soy, and dairy) make me feel tired, bloated, and depressed. You'd think that would be enough. Usually it is.

Ruth Kelly said...

Looks good to me. I use spelt bread - just for variety because I think we all eat too much wheat and corn. Anyway, roast beef and pepper jack cheese = yum.

SImple and Serene Living said...

I'm sure it is delicious and I haven't tried that brand of gluten free bread. I haven't eaten beef in 15 years, but I know someone to pass this on to :)

Empty Nester said...

I love cheese and horseradish- but not pepper jack cheese. That's more something Hubs would eat. And the roast beef cause I don't eat that either. But I do love turkey! I missed your gluten free bread recipe! I'm going to check that out!

Eileen H said...

That's interesting about gluten-free
foods. I think I'll give at a go to see if I notice a difference.

Cranberry Morning said...

Eileen, I hope you'll let me know how it goes. I think many of us feel a lot better when we keep those common allergens out of our diet, i.e. wheat, corn, soy, dairy.

Life Happens said...

My hubby loves roast beef, and anything with cheese on it. Not a fan of the horseradish though. :)

Kristen Rettig said...

I didn't know you were gluten free. I just did a tea for ladies and made it gluten free because the guest of honor and her mother are both gluten free. I thought it would be terribly difficult, but it wasn't and I thought everything turned out really tasty. I am not gluten free but think it's a good idea to get other grains in your diet and I'll try the Udi bread, I saw it at my Whole Foods.

Karen Harris said...

Hi Judy! Great looking sandwich. I haven't ever tried any of Udi's products. Thankfully I can eat most anything I want without suffering any ill side effects. I'm glad to have a go to gluten free bread recipe.

Angela Young said...

Yum! I just love how much easier it's getting to find good gluten-free products! Great sandwich!

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

YUM. We just recently went GF...this is the perfect snack idea!! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails