Tuesday, May 15, 2012

TIME Magazine Breastfeeding Fuss


Just wanted to say a word about the TIME Magazine cover with the photo of the woman breastfeeding her 3 year old. I'm not going to get into the argument here, except to say that I think sometimes women breastfeed well beyond the time a child needs them to - for their own emotional needs, rather than the needs of their child.

That said, breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world. Though it may be difficult for many in this sexified (oh, I see that it is a word, so I'm not sure if I should use it or not, but you know what I mean) society of ours to believe, breastfeeding is actually the purpose for which those appendages were designed. God could have designed the female body with plastic bottles attached, I suppose, but He didn't. That's probably a very good thing in many ways.

ANYWAY, that cover photo reminded me of when my sister had her first baby. He cried a lot. Therefore, he was breastfed a lot. It's what young mothers tend to do in response to a crying baby - feed him.

One day when my Aunt Esther walked into the living room to see my nephew once again attached to his breastfeeding mother, she looked down at my [probably 6 month old] nephew and declared,

'You know, young man, you can't go through life 
with your mother hangin' out of your mouth!'


Every time I think of Aunt Esther and that clever line, it makes me smile. :-)

***

Sandalwood & Vanilla
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at

8 comments:

Denise said...

Well said.

Midwest to Midlands said...

Oh Aunt Esther made me laugh.

Autumn said...

Beyond two years is too much IMHO but I think some cultures do it much longer.

Chatty Crone said...

Grandmas just told it like it was - didn't they? Love the honesty in them.

sandie

Eileen H said...

I think maybe up until the child is twelve months old is long enough...and once the child can talk then it's wrong.

Aunt Esther's remark is funny :-)

Unknown said...

Agreed :)

Joyce said...

I bet Aunt Esther was fun!

Kristen Rettig said...

Years ago I saw a child breast feeding between taking bites of his McDonald's cheeseburger. Unfortunately that image has never left me, gad.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails